Chapter 14 | Winter Solstice

The winter dance was finally here. Though I had some major uncertainties about attending, Beck insisted. I've dreaded it, and I thought all damn day long about cancelling on him. I knew he wanted to go with me, but I was never one for crowds, especially ones that included frilly dresses, curls, and makeup. When Cam and Jess found out I was going with Beckett, they wouldn't let me not go. In fact, they had both come over to my house three hours before the dance to make me up like some kind of life-sized doll. I had to sit through torture of the highest degree: hot curling irons and mascara brushes.

Now, I was stood in front of my bedroom mirror that Jessie held up for me. I felt ridiculous. I was dressed in a pale blue dress that hugged my chest and flared out into skirts mid-waist, the thick, off-shoulder straps draping on my arms. There was pretty and delicate silver and white lace that covered the skirt here and there. And my hair and makeup made me almost unrecognizable. Cam went the full nine yards with the makeup; I don't even know where to begin to describe what she used and what it did. I just know I didn't look like myself. Jess said she liked my hair down, so she curled it and moved all of it to one side over my shoulder, putting a diamond clip underneath to keep it there.

I felt exposed and looked . . . odd. Don't get me wrong; the dress and everything were beautiful, but it felt awkward because it was on me. I'd love to see it on someone else, just to fully appreciate how stunning it was. Maybe I was just too self-conscious. I felt like I was going to throw up; I was so nervous.

"Stop touching your hair," Jess hissed as she smacked my hand away for the umpteenth time. We haven't even left for the dance yet; they were touching up their own makeup and hair. "It looks great; you look great. Can you not fidget so much?"

I sighed deeply, folding my hands together in my lap. "Sorry, but I'm actually uncomfortable."

"You think I don't know that? You don't like dressing up and you hate crowds. This isn't news to me; I'm your best friend of thirteen years. You know I wouldn't let you go out looking like a clown, so believe me when I say Beckett will want to do more than dance tonight."

I cringed and gave her a disgruntled look. "And that's not going to happen. We've barely even dated."

Cam spoke up from her chair at my desk as she applied lipstick in the mirror. "You don't have to know every little thing about a guy to have some fun with him."

I groaned and Jessie stopped me from face-palming. "Thanks for the pep talk, guys, really. But I think I'm fine just dancing."

They both looked at each other and legit giggled like schoolgirls. I didn't care that they thought I was uptight or innocent; my values were solid and immovable. Wasting my time on actions and events that don't mean anything just didn't interest me. I didn't want something that was only going to last a day or a few months. If it wasn't worth my time and effort, I didn't want it.

When they both finished getting ready, we headed out. We decided to go there together instead of with our dates, mostly because Jessica wanted to walk in with "the best-looking posse." I had rolled my eyes but agreed to go along with it because I didn't want to drive. If I had to go at all, I'd have rather gone in through a side door.

The dance was held at the recently-built and locally-owned hotel in town. It was far too fancy for Pointwood, and it stood out next to the older buildings. Of course, the name of it made it obvious enough as to who owned it.

Cam nudged me with an eyeroll. She didn't seem pleased with the location choice, either. Anyone who knew Farrah Hansen knew that her family owned the Hansen Hotel and were filthy rich. In fact, people were basically surrounding her in the parking lot to tell her how pretty she looked and how awesome it was to hold the dance in her family's hotel. It was honestly pretty ridiculous.