Chapter 8 Behind Red Curtains

Start from the beginning

"Do you not like concerts?" She asked.

"Not exactly." He said evasively.

"You don't seem too thrilled to be here."

"I'm on duty so it doesn't matter whether I'm thrilled or not."

"O-kay then." Laura said, a little stung by his cool manner. Sure, he was keeping his distance for her benefit since he promised not to invade her space any more than he could help, but still, a little socialization wouldn't hurt.

"Oh no, he's here." Laura flinched on seeing Luke Wetmore accompanied by an elderly woman nearby. Ji Hoon immediately stiffened and put himself a little in front of her.

"Just in case -" He began and wrapped his arm around her waist. She sucked in a breath, unused to the intimate gesture.

"Play along." He whispered in her ear. Luke spotted them and although his expression soured on seeing Ji Hoon, he didn't turn away.

"Laura. A surprise seeing you here." Luke said as he approached them.

"Miss Talavera?" The woman beside him asked.

"Yes. Mother, this is Laura Talavera." Luke said. Laura inclined her head politely to the lady.

"My, you are as beautiful as my son described." She said with an indulgent look. Ji Hoon thought she looked like a frog who just swallowed a fly.

"Ahem, yes, well, mother, we should take our seats. Will you be joining us, Laura? We have our own box and all..." Luke asked, glancing keenly at Laura.

"I'm terribly sorry but we must turn down the offer, our seats have been reserved for us already." Ji Hoon said with a smile that was too perfect to be true. Laura knew he was faking it but he did it so convincingly that she smiled, impressed.

"Oh, and who are you, young man?" Mrs. Wetmore asked.

"Permit me to introduce myself - Ji Hoon Kim, Laura's boyfriend." He said with a little bow. Mrs. Wetmore's eyes widened and she made a little choking noise in her throat.

"What?! Boyfriend?! But Luke darling, you told me -"

"Later mother, we can discuss it later." Luke cut her off hurriedly, clearly irritated that the subject was brought up. They walked away and Laura could hear Mrs. Wetmore still spluttering in shock. She giggled.

"Good show." She said to Ji Hoon. He turned to her with a genuine smile.

"He's still looking. Do forgive me for what I'm about to do next." He said before leaning down to her and placing a delicate kiss on her cheek. Luke smacked into the entrance door as he didn't see where he was going, his eyes still being fixed on the show Ji Hoon put on and he had to apologize to his mother for lagging behind. Ji Hoon pulled back.

"That should upset his evening." He said, grinning. Laura stared at him. She had been caught completely off guard by that and felt warmth tinge her cheeks. Her breath also sped up, surprising her. Why was she reacting like this? This sort of reaction was for high school teenagers, not grown young women. Had her lack of a love life rendered her so green in the field of romance that a simple kiss made her blush?

"Nice digs." Ji Hoon said as they entered the box. They were quite high up and quite alone as Laura's stepfather bought them private seats.

"Not quite the word I'd use but - hey, what are you doing?" Laura asked, seeing him examine every corner of the box.

"Just a security check." He mumbled. "All clear." Laura smiled.

"Thanks to you, I can trust that I won't end up like Lincoln." She joked. Ji Hoon frowned.