13. Peaceful Sleep

Italics: The thoughts of the person speaking/ the current POV.

Bold: Actions, Set changes, POV switches, etc.

Normal: Descriptions, Exposition, etc.

"Quotes": A character talking.

*Matsushiro Base*

*Third Person's POV*

The downdraft of the VTOL, blew wind all about, holding onto her hat, Ritsuko watched the holding cage that was being finished up for the test.

"Mission director of the manned activation testing of the EVA Unit-03 has arrived and is currently heading toward the main control room."

"Initiating hook-up of umbilical cable. Connector contact verified." The power cord was properly attached.

"Temporary above-ground cage and restraint system checked. No abnormalities detected."

"Main power supply current switch complete. "

"Entry plug anchored in insertion position."

In another room, nearby, the temporary headquarters were set up as Misato over watched the completion of the preparations.

"Checks done up through on the list. "

"No problems found."

Misato: "Roger. Resume the countdown."

"Resuming countdown."

"All ground crew personnel begin evacuation."

"Test pilot medical checkups completed. Currently standing by in mobile quarantine chamber."

"Maintenance Team 6, evacuation complete."

Misato: "Looks like I can hand over the rest to Ritsuko without any problems."

*Brrt Brrt*

Checking her phone she noticed the name, and was slightly confused.

Misato: "A secure line? From Asuka?" Walking out of the office to get some privacy before answering her phone.

Misato: "What's up, Asuka? Thoughts before the show starts?"

Asuka: "I just felt like talking with you for some reason." Putting her phone on speaker, as she continued getting ready. Meanwhile, the gondola-like transport took her up to the back of the EVA where she'd soon pilot.

Misato: "I see. I want to let you know again that I appreciate what you're doing today. Thank you."

Asuka: "You don't need to thank me. It's the duty of the elite to help the ignorant masses, that's all. And I'm not big on eating with everyone anyway. It's exhausting to have to pretend you're enjoying yourself along with everyone else. I didn't want to have to sit around watching others be happy."

Asuka: "All I care about is piloting the Eva. And I like being by myself to begin with. I have no use for phony friends. And there hasn't exactly been a whole lotta people who's seen me for the real me. And as long as I can get the top performance scores, I can make a living at NERV."

Asuka: "But some things happened recently that made me think being around other people isn't all bad. It's so not me, though."

Misato: "That's not true. you have a kind heart, Asuka."

Asuka: "You're one of the first that I've ever talked to like this. I feel like I'm starting to open up somehow. It feels nice to talk to someone. I had no idea."