Chapter 7

Yearbook day, and the last day of school, finally came. Today there wasn't even class - and calling them classes the past few days, with parties, or very fun-oriented lessons, was a bit of a stretch.

With a new set of girl clothes on though, it was hard for Danny to feel like talking to a lot of people. No one was pointing fingers and mocking of course. Even people that knew him weren't commenting on his change in attire. In his history class at least, where he'd been prone to raising his hand a lot in class, asking and answering questions, he found a number of people that didn't seem to have any qualms about signing his yearbook, or asking him to sign theirs.

It embarrassed him that he had to glance to what they'd just signed in order to remember their names, but it gave him a bit of encouragement. There were people who seemed to actually want to be friends with him. Maybe his anxiety had painted a false picture of the people around him.

As Danny was sitting at his desk alone, looking at something on his phone, a girl in the class who he did know, Lexi, sat down next to him. Lexi had been one of the few other people that seemed to want to participate in class, and so they'd been acquainted.

"Can I sign your yearbook?" Lexi asked.

"Sure."

"Sign mine?"

"Also sure," Danny smiled.

Danny signed Lexi's yearbook in an elaborate flourish, signing it Daniel A. Kessler, esq. Lexi laughed at the overly elaborate signature.

"Well now you make me feel like I need to write some essay on the history of yearbooks in yours just to outdo your John Hancock."

Danny laughed, turning to trade yearbooks with someone else.

"Hey Danny?"

"Yeah?" he turned around when he finished.

"Can I... ask you something?"

"Okay...."

Lexi hesitated for a moment. "I hope I'm not prying or anything, just... I saw that you weren't wearing your binder."

Danny shuddered at the question.

"You... knew?"

"What?" Lexi said, "I mean, it's... well... visible. Did you really think that no one in the school noticed it?"

Danny groaned pressing his hands against his face.

"It's okay," Lexi quickly said, "I dunno about your other classes, but here at least, no one cares. Besides, I've known trans people before."

Danny's eyes narrowed. "I... am not a trans man."

"But... the binder..."

Danny squeezed his fists in pain, and tensed his facial muscles just as tightly. 

"I... have... gynecomastia. I have some stupid hormone thing that's made me into a stupid girly boy, and that forced me to wear the stupid binder."

Lexi put up her hands defensively. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'd never heard of your condition. But I don't care who you are, I still think you're cool, and I'd love to hang out over the summer."

Danny sighed. "I'm sorry I freaked out, just... this is really difficult. To answer your question, I've worn the binder to hide my chest growth but... I was stupid and I wore it too much. Now the doctor and my Mom are making me not only go without it, but they're making me wear a bra too."

"Wow," Lexi said, "that... that does sound really tough. I guess in a way though you get the experience of experiencing things from both ways. Having... well, a chest like this can be annoying sometimes."