The Morning Of || .004

Start from the beginning

       "Ava," his voice was deeper than she remembered, and his appearance had changed ever so slightly. He was taller, more fit, and her feelings of desperation for him immediately rushed back. They spent hours on end talking and catching up because they hadn't seen each other in over two years. They had sent letters and called but in person was completely different. For the first time in a long time, Ava felt completely at home. She was cuddled into the blankets on the couch, her parents left the house to her for her sixteenth birthday, so she had privacy for once. Andrés felt a bit more confident than Ava as he brought a hand down to rest on Ava's thigh mid-sentence.

      "How's Sergio?" Her eyes shifted to the hand on her thigh but forced her eyes to stay put back on Andrés' face.

      "He's as nerdy as ever." Andrés put it simply, his hand slowly edging up her thigh. It was clear that he had one thing in mind, but she hadn't seen him in over two years. She barely knew him anymore, but she still felt so weak at the knees for him.

      "Andrés-" Ava was just about to speak more but Andrés cut her off, putting a finger in front of his lips and shushing her. Ava fell quiet as he dropped his hand and leaned in close to her, their lips finally touching. Ava had wanted this for so long, but she couldn't help but wonder why he seemed interested so randomly? He didn't have to come to see her hundreds of miles away just to talk to her and kiss her. Ava kissed him back with so much passion, so much love. Then her mind started rushing back to Martin. "Andrés, I have a boyfriend." She said these words after parting from his lips, and his eyes fell directly back on her lips.

      "Spying on me while I'm getting dressed, Valencia?" Berlin's voice was low as he caught up to Ava. She stopped right in front of the dining area, her eyes shooting daggers at Berlin because of his comment. He wasn't wrong, though. She was watching as he dressed. "I'm sure it's hard to get those fantasies of me out of your head." Berlin purposely brought a hand to her cheek, rubbing it back and forth gently. He knew exactly what he did to her and he seemed to almost enjoy it.

      "Berlin-" Ava was cut off by him once again.

       "You think I don't remember?" He cocked his head to the side. He was amused by the conversation completely. "Does your boyfriend know that you weren't a virgin the first time you all," he grinned wildly, "well, you know."

      Ava's cheeks were burning a dark red as she stared ahead at her childhood sweetheart. Sweetheart wasn't the best word to describe the way Berlin was. "You must be incredibly lonely if the only thing you can ever talk about is taking a sixteen-year-old's virginity." Ava tried to snap back at him, but her feelings were too obvious. She wasn't as good as he was when it came to embarrassment.

      "Lonely, no." Berlin shook his head with a small chuckle. "Just reminiscing. You remember that night? You were definitely dating the man in there." He eyed Martin a bit too hard and then his eyes went back to Ava. "Dating him at school, going on your dates, and coming home to sneak out and be with me. Were you already fucking him?" Ava's heart was racing at this point, but she didn't speak. Instead, she let out a huff, trying to calm herself down.

       "Berlin!" The Professor's voice was clear as he called out for his older brother.

       "Saved by the bell." Berlin hummed the words before he turned to walk into the dining area. Ava followed behind him, giving him a minute to get situated with the Professor first. Martin's eyes were locked on Ava, but Ava avoided any kind of eye contact. Martin had a bruise wrapped around his left eye given to him by Denver. Ava was aware that Martin wasn't close to being a favorite in the group, but neither was she. She was close to Nairobi and Denver, and she knew when it came down to it, they would help save her. She couldn't say the same for Martin. They went over the plan once again and everyone recited it. There were a few hidden details not given to anyone else besides Berlin and while Ava knew why others didn't like it. They didn't know about their relationship with one another, but it was clear they knew each other. They'd probably never suspect Berlin to be the Professor's older brother.

       "Valencia," the Professor said as he stepped over to Ava. Ava nodded shortly. "Keep an eye out for him, will you?"

       "Of course." Ava knew exactly who he was talking about, so she responded immediately. No matter what terms she was on with anyone in the group, she would lookout for all of them.

       "He's short-tempered and you out of all people should know that. That's why I'm putting that much more trust in you. You're the only person that I know that can calm him down. He's a ticking time bomb and we both know that." The Professor was right. Berlin had a temper, and it was hard for him to keep it in check let alone anyone else in the group. He said what he wanted to say without any remorse and did what he felt like he needed to do. Berlin was childish in some ways he handled things but that just made him even more dangerous.

      "Professor," Ava placed her hand on Sergio's shoulder, a grin on her lips. "I promise you that I'll look after everyone in this group. We're all going in together and we'll all come out together." The Professor met her with a smile of his own and for the first time, they felt ready for all of the plans to come into action.