The Guardian Who Failed

Start from the beginning

He paused as a massive smirk formed on his face. "The masters of this war are quite wacky so they may find the challenge appealing... Much to us, servants, inconvenience."

"..." Shirou remained adamant at staying out of the cafe, his feet now slowly sliding his way out. "But I don't think Tohsaka is one to be... Wacky..." he commented.

"You hear that, Master? He doesn't think of you weirdly so I think you can say hi," Archer said out loud, his eyes going past Shirou.

At the servant's words, Shirou looked behind him slightly fearing that the bad-tempered Rin would be there.

Only to just find the deserted street.

"Senpai!" Sakura cried out.

By the time the sound of a chair falling reached his ears, he felt the tip of a blade pressed at his throat.

"The fact that you fear Rin more than me is quite idiotic of you," Archer snidely commented as he kept the blade against Shirou's throat. "Tell me, how well do you know the girl you are protecting?"

Shirou, despite the blade poised at his throat, shifted a bit so he would be more in Archer's way of Sakura. "Enough that I would give my life for her," he boldly proclaimed.

"But is that your ideals speaking or your bond?" Archer inquired.

"..." Shirou's eyes narrowed in both growing frustration and defensiveness. "My bond."

Archer remained silent at Shirou's words, his steel-grey eyes seemingly discerning whether the boy before him spoke the truth. "And would you still defend her even if it ends the world?"

Shirou remained silent, contemplating the servant's words carefully. He felt Sakura grip his shirt tightly, seemingly afraid that he would leave her.

He too was afraid he was going to leave himself.

"I..." he began but failed to conjure any words to follow up. This further served to make Sakura grip his shirt even tighter.

"I wanted to be... A hero of justice..."

"Wanted to be?"

"Yes but I failed."

This was the reason why Kiritsugu failed, Shirou realized.

It was because his old man lost himself in his ideals. The crushing weight of what he needed to sacrifice destroyed any conviction left.

"Senpai..."

The wannabe hero of justice turned his eyes to look at Sakura who refused to meet his gaze.

"I will save her," Shirou declared before turning his gaze back upon Archer. "And I refuse to believe that I can't."

Sakura's eyes widened in surprise before a small, soft smile formed on her lips. Her grip slackened a bit as well, as she now only held on for reassurance rather than desperation.

Archer stared into Shirou's reflective golden eyes. His arm not wavering as he held the blade still and firm.

And yet, a small smile formed on his face. "Interesting," he simply said.

He then lowered his blade and walked back to his seat. After seating himself down, he smirked. "Your answer is quite reassuring," he stated as he leaned on the table. "But do you have the power to protect her? Are you sure she isn't protecting you?"

-

Illyasviel strolled down the empty streets, her voice humming a small German folk tune. Her legs seemingly have a small hop in each step.