Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

“What’s changed?” she asked in confusion.

Why now was he willing to have a relationship with her, she didn’t understand what was different. She wondered whether it was jealously because that much was obvious. He was such hard work, one minute he was furious the next he was soft and sweet towards her and she couldn’t handle it.

“I’ve come to my senses,” he confessed.

It still wasn’t much of an answer, she wanted an explanation she deserved that much. She wanted to sit down and talk properly but she had a feeling things were not going to go her way.

**

April got the items she needed for the spell and spread them over the table, she placed them all into a bowl and mixed them together, when it started to burn orange she knew it was going to plan. It was the first time she had ever performed such a powerful spell on her own before but she was sure that by following the book exactly it would work perfectly.

She re-read over the spell and huffed as the flames started to smoulder, that wasn’t meant to happen it was meant to burn red. She continued with the incantation regardless of the fact the flames had gone out and was even more irritated when nothing happened. Deciding to come back to it later, she went back out to Nixon who was sitting on the sofa looking annoyed.

“Oh you remembered that I’m here then,” he huffed.

April rolled her eyes at him and sat down putting her feet on the coffee table, “Nix I’m really not in the mood for your tantrums,” she told him with a sigh.

She wanted him to leave so that she could get back to the spell and start over, she was pleased as he stood up and walked towards the door. He turned around to face her before he opened the door and huffed again.

“You’re supposed to be a friend, some help you’ve been,” he spat as he opened the door and stormed out.

She watched him through the window as he walked away from the cottage and sighed she should have at least heard him out. She should have questioned him more about Seth, she was desperate to see him again, but she didn’t want to go round to Celina’s because she couldn’t face seeing him loved up with someone else.

A bang from the bedroom made her jump and she rushed back in there, the potion had started to burn again, but instead of the flames burning red like the spell had said they would, they were burning blue and the flames were rising.

“Shit,” she hissed as she ran into the kitchen and grabbed some water.

She ran back into the bedroom with the water, ready to throw it over the fire, but was horrified to see a man standing in her bedroom. He looked at her and smirked, she was frozen with fear as he walked around the table and over to the open pages of the spell book. He ran his hand over the page and picked the book up.

“You’ve never done this before have you?” he asked with a dark chuckle.

All that April could do was shake her head, she couldn’t move with the fear he was going to hurt her. He must have been Ipes, but the spell hadn’t worked as it was supposed to so she couldn’t understand how she had managed to summon him.

“Who are you?” she asked nervously.

“Did your mother never teach you not to play with fire?” he asked with amusement.

April was shaking as he dropped the book and approached her, his movements were so fast she didn’t have the chance to move as he pinned her against the wall. She shuddered as his warm breath fanned against her neck and his nose trailed against her skin, breathing in her sweet scent.