Chapter 40

When the elevator arrives at the floor of the conference room, the guards are cautious. Everybody knows not to disturb Monsieur Berte while he is in an important meeting. If it is an emergency, the protocol states that the posting guards, in this case them, are notified beforehand of the imminent interruption.

That the elevator is called and has arrived at their floor, is cause of suspicion. More so when the doors open and the only thing inside is a tennis shoe.

The guards look at each other and one makes a forward move with his head. The other hesitates and the first one gives him a pointed look. The second one then approaches with care while the first one stands in his position.

As the second guard draws near, he doesn't see anything out of place except the shoe. He steps inside and bends down to pick it up. Suddenly, something falls hard on his back making him stumble down. Before he has time to recover pain explodes in his temple, and he falls unconscious.

The other guard gets a front row seat of everything that happens. He sees how a teenage girl suddenly falls from the elevators roof and lands on his partner. How she knocks him out with a powerful and quick strike to the temple.

He immediately draws nearer to take her out before Monsieur Berte comes out of the meeting. When the girl turns to look at him, he is startled. She is one of the teens they captured earlier and wonders briefly how she escaped.

However, he pushes his questions aside when the girl runs head on at full speed towards him. He stops and places his feet apart for better stability intending to stop her short. Before he knows it, the girl slips between his legs and kicks him in the back. He stumbles forward and quickly regains his balance, turning around.

She is already up and tries to kick him again, but he blocks her and throws a punch. She avoids it. He manages to grab her left arm. She elbows him in the jaw with her other hand, making him release her. She grabs his head and drives it to her raised knee, breaking his nose. He feels dizzy. The girl finally hits him in the back side of the neck, and he blacks out.

***

Kiara moves the guards to the edges of the hallway out of harm's way. Then, returns to the elevator to pick up her shoe as the lockdown alert sound in the speakers. She places herself in front of the door and waits. She focuses on her breathing and getting her nerves under control. She can't hear anything from inside the conference room because it is soundproof, leaving her to imagine what is going on inside.

Berte is probably startled with the alarm. He might try to call security, but after attempting it a few times, he realizes it doesn't work. His colleagues will probably question him about the situation, and he'll assure them he has it under control. At that point, he'll consult with the guards outside.

"He's heading your way." Will tells her just as the doors begin to open.

"C'est un verrouillé" Kiara stops Berte. "Retournez dans la salle s'il vous plait¨"

"Comment étre-vous arrivé là ?" Berte asks surprised.

"Retournez dans la salle s'il vous plait¨" Kiara repeats ignoring Berte's question.

"Tu ne me peux pas arrêter!"

Kiara only shrugs. Berte tries to bypass her, but Kiara blocks his way. He moves to the other side but has the same result. He then pounces on her. Kiara predicts this answer and as he moves his fist to punch her, she grabs it, ducks bellow his raised arm and pins it to his back. She notices a bulge in his waistband. With his own momentum, she manages to turn them around and she pushes him back inside the conference room. He stumbles onto the representatives.

"Situation?" Kiara asks Will through the walkie-talkie.

"Agent Carville is almost here." Will answers. "Think you can handle it?"

"I'll try." Kiara says honestly.

By then, Berte is red with fury. He stands up and straightens his suit. Kiara enters the room and shuts the door behind her.

"Are you going to let a girl make you a prisoner in your own building?" the woman demands to Berte.

"Please take a seat." Kiara keeps talking in French. "The authorities will be here any moment."

"Berte, you said that you took care of them" One of the men admonishes. "This doesn't look like it's taken care of. Do you want Xavier to find out that three teenagers bested you?"

"Monsieur Jolivet, I suggest that you remember your place. I said that I was taking care of it, and I will. Xavier will know about this when she and her friends are no longer a problem." He looks at Mr. JolIivet with menace and makes a move behind his back.

"Are you looking for the gun you had tucked there?" Kiara says when Berte doesn't find anything and tries to hide his fear. "It should be somewhere in the hallway behind me."

"How..." Berte begins saying.

"When I pushed you, I took it from you and drop it on the floor." Kiara answers ahead of his question.

The alarm stops sounding and Berte looks triumphant.

"Seems your little coup didn't succeed against my men." Berte gloats.

"What gives you that impression?" Kiara says.

Her facial expressions are neutral. She trusts her team wouldn't get beaten that easily... a second time.

"Terminating lockdown. Carville is heading your way. Expect him in 5." Will says through her comm, making Kiara grin.

"It seems our time together is drawing short." Kiara says as she reopens the door behind her just as the elevator opens and six armed men rush out. Agent Carville is one of them and leads them to her.

"ISS. You are under arrest for involvement in various assassinations and assassination attempts. You have a right to remain silent." He says as the other five men put handcuffs on Berte and his representative, and escort them outside.

"Are you alright?" He asks Kiara after he finishes reciting the groups rights.

"Couldn't be better." Kiara answers with a smirk. "Nice to finally meet you in person."

"Have a paramedic check your bruise." He says after nodding. "And don't go far. You and your team have some explaining to do."