Chapter 11

Two weeks later...

Ms. Lane drones on and on about the Eiffel Tower's history, and not one of her students is paying attention. But really, who could blame them? In three days, they are heading to Paris and seeing the Eiffel Tower for themselves. Though, the students are more interested on the trip itself than on the history behind the monument.

One of the perks of studying in Crystal Wood High is that it is the United States version of the Wood High School in England. With two more versions in Bahamas and Australia, the institution has the philosophy that they are a big family; and as such, the four school should gather in a place and have quality time together. Therefore, each year all the juniors of the schools are invited to a three-week gathering in a place chosen by Wood High School. And this year, the destination is Paris, France.

As the lunch bell rings, Ms. Lane stops her monolog on the design of the famous tower and reminds her students to hand out the authorization and other documents for the trip. While Kiara searches for hers, the classroom empties and soon she is one of the last to give it to the teacher and head to the cafeteria.

Since most of the student are already there, the halls are almost empty and the normal noise that accompanies these halls is absent. This silence allows Kiara to hear the whispers of an argument as she passes in front of the stairs. Curiosity takes the best of her and she follows the noise.

Climbing the stairs to the second floor, the voices grow louder and louder. She comes to a stop right before the intersection. The voices are so noisy that she peeks around the corner to confirm her suspicion.

Ryan and Sasha are arguing, both with their faces as red as tomatoes and their hands making large gestures. This has become a common sight in the last three weeks. Some of their arguments have been very public and in others, like this one, Kiara has been the sole bystander. Kiara suppresses her groan. She should leave. This is none of her business, but her feet stay planted as she listens in.

"...  think I'm stupid, Ryan?" Sasha says with a raised voice. "Or do you think I don't see the glances between you and Julia? Or the way you are too busy all of the sudden and never have time to be with me?"

"I am busy! I have to train hard for the championships." Ryan lashes back. "Besides, you're one to talk. You are always doing something!"

"At least mine has a purpose! Yours is pointless!" Sasha says. "The championships ended TWO months ago, and everybody knows the coach is going to make you the quarterback for next year."

"Still, I have to stay in shape and ahead of the rest." Ryan says.

Kiara and Sasha roll their eyes at the excuse in synchrony although they do not realize it.

"That is not the point!" Sasha says. "Don't sidestep this! Stacey saw you the other day, and she sent me this picture."

Sasha takes her phone out and shows something to Ryan. Kiara cannot see the picture from her position, but Ryan's face turns white. She can only imagine what it shows. Sasha's free hand clenches hardly. "I knew it!" is all she says before storming away. Ryan reacts fast and blocks her way, grabbing her arm in a tight painful grip.

"It's not like you don't deserve it! We are not done here." Ryan says to her back with menace. She slowly turns around, a murderous look on her face.

"Sorry not sorry my world doesn't revolve around you." Sasha says and presses her thumb in the pressure point of the arm grabbing her. This instantly causes him pain. She slides his arm away. "And yes, we are done. Don't ever touch me again."

With that, Sasha walks away. Realizing that she is heading her way, Kiara quickly ducks back, and tries to go unnoticed by pressing herself to the lockers. Sasha continues in a straight line, never even glancing Kiara's way, and enters the girls' bathroom. Kiara glances back at Ryan and sees him with his head bowed down. After a few seconds, he straitens up as if nothing and walks away in the other direction.

Kiara is stunned for a moment, although she did see the breakup coming a long time ago. If someone asks her, Kiara doesn't really know why those two put up with each other or how they did it for so long.

She feels a little bad for Sasha. Despite everything she has done to her, no one deserves to be cheated on. Although as usual, she has a hard time reading Sasha's emotions and intentions, so she doesn't know her state of mind. As for Ryan, his temper flares when in private and he turns more aggressive. Kiara has seen it many times with different receivers and it doesn't surprise her the way he acted now.

Oh well, nothing I can do, or want to do, about it. Kiara shrugs. Seeing that the cost is clear, she heads back to the cafeteria and carries on as if nothing happened. The gossip grapevine will eventually spread the news on its own. She gives it until lunch ends.

***

By the end of the school day, Kiara's mood soars, and she can barely contain her delight. All she wants is to head to the training facility because today she has another mission simulation. She has had a couple of them the las two weeks and she has aced most . All of them were different. But she hopes this one will be the same as the first one she had. She finally came up with an idea to beat Agent Frost and wants to put it into action.

Also, according to one of her instructors, once the simulations begin it is only a matter of time before the agent is deployed on a real mission. Meaning, Kiara is closer to going on her first mission. She was lighthearted as excitement surges inside.

However, she first has a Council Meeting that drags on eternally, or at least from Kiara's perspective it does. As soon as the meeting is adjourned, Kiara heads out, lucky not to be the one to tidy the room. She walks through the school entrance towards the bus station, but before she can finish descending the stairs, a voice calls her name.