Chapter 9

A loud noise bugs Kiara from her dream. She tries to block it off by covering her head with her blanket, but it does not work. Giving up, she extends her arm until she grabs the producer of the noise: her phone. With sleepy eyes she unlocks it and stares at the message from an unregistered number. That is when it clicks: today is Saturday.

Her eyes pop wide open. She gasps, putting her phone back on her nightstand and pushing her blankets of her. She dresses in comfortable cloths, unsure of what might be asked of her today, and heads down.

Kiara scraps the last of her breakfast from the plate and washes it down with juice.

"Mom I'm heading out," she says as she places her plate and silverware on the dishwasher. "Can I borrow the car?"

Kiara's mom Kate pauses from reading a work report in her tablet. She quickly scans the date on the calendar.

"Sure" Kate says. "on one condition"

Kiara nods eagerly.

"We're having a late lunch and I need to do some errands after."

"I'll be back by then." Kiara promises.

"Keys are besides the door."

"Thanks. Have a nice day!" Kiara kisses her mom goodbye.

"You, too, honey!" Kate nearly shouts since Kiara is halfway to the door.

Twenty minutes later, Kiara parks in the curb of the street in front of her destination, at least according to the GPS. She looks around. The coordinates lead her to the industrial area of the city to a parking space enabled for the workers and visitors of the place. The space is filled with cars of different brands.

Rows and rows of warehouses surround the parking lot. In some, she can see people unloading trucks and heading out. People checking clipboards and moving in and out of the facilities. Others have minimum human activity.

She checks the text message again to confirm the address and then the GPS in her phone to confirm she wrote it right. Everything matches, but she is in a parking lot. Not exactly the secret place she had envisioned. Although at some point she thought the location would be back in the building she woke up in last time.

She scans the area again, detailing the people visible from her position. The glare of the morning sun makes it hard to see too far. She puts her hand over her eyes. Resting against the front of a metallic fence on the other side of the street is Agent Knight on normal cloths. Kiara almost did not recognize him without a suit. She exits the car, locks it up and makes her way towards him.

"Welcome Agent Starling to the International Secret Service." Agent Knight says once she is a few feet from him. Kiara nods in acknowledgement but looks around in question. "Follow me."

They start walking down the road.

"L.A. is one of our main cities. We have many properties here." Agent Knight says after they passed the first warehouse. "You already know our corporate building. There we have de administrative, surveillance, mission control, international affairs departments and so on. Although you won't be seeing much of it for now."

"So, where exactly are we going?" Kiara says.

"To the training facility" Agent Knight says. "Where most of our Young Division Agents spend their time."

They stop to let a truck pass and then continue taking a few turns. Most of the warehouses look the same. The only thing that distinguishes them are the signs in the entrance with the name of the company and some trucks that also have them.