Chapter 3

Kiara carefully looks around but, as before, she cannot find the source. This time, though, feels different. Never has it happened to her more than once in a day. She keeps walking, changing pace and directions randomly. The feeling persists. Someone is following her.

She debates on calling her brother but decides to wait a little longer before doing it. She wants to at least get a look at whoever is doing this. Stopping in front of a clothes store, she contemplates the exhibit, while she scans her surroundings through her periphery vision. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

She takes out her phone and activates the internal camera. With it she can see what is behind her. And then she sees him. A muscular man twice her size is watching her. For someone so big, he is very good at passing unnoticed. He has everyday clothes on and even has a shopping bag. But there is something off about him. Kiara needs more information before acting on her suspicions.

She starts walking, keeping track of the man. Up ahead she sees a large group of teens around her age coming her way. She passes right through the middle of their group. In the moment when they block her from his view, she changes direction and heads into the hallway of the bathroom. She hides behind the wall and waits.

As she thought, the man quickly passes by and looks around. He is very subtle about it, but Kiara knows he is looking for her. He continues and Kiara waits a few more seconds. However, she is so focused on the first man that she does not notice another approaching until she hears him whisper.

He came from the second hallway. The bathroom in the mall is in the middle of an intersection of hallways. Therefore, while Kiara entered from one path, this one entered from the other.

Kiara moves her body sideways to look at him and at her previous mark more easily. She quickly scans the new man whose build is like the other. He has an earpiece in his right ear, and he was talking to someone. This would not stand out in normal circumstances, but he is purposely blocking one of the exits. His body is tense and ready to act. His face is like stone.

Kiara's instincts tell her this man is in league with the first. Chills run through her body as her heart rate picks up, but she takes a steading breath to center herself. They haven't done anything to her more than follow her around.

"Who are you? Why are you following me?" Kiara says.

The man doesn't answer and steps closer to her. This puts her on high alert, but she stays in her place. "What do you want?" she tries again.

She looks at where she came from. There are some people walking around, if things go sideways, she can shout for help or maybe make a run for it. But before she can do much, the man she spotted first blocks her way and tries to grab her.

When Kiara sees the man extending his arm, her training kicks in as her focus narrows. She grabs the arm with her right hand and breaks it with her left. Then, she kicks the second man approaching from behind her in the chest knocking the wind out of him. Still grabbing the first one's hand, she pulls him close and punches him in the throat strong enough to leave him choking and out of the fight for now.

Suddenly her eyelids feel heavy. She shakes her head and blinks rapidly fighting the feeling. The second man recovers and gives her a bear hug from behind trapping her hands to her sides. Before she can escape, the drowsiness intensifies and black spots dance in her vision.

"What did you do?" She tries to say, but it comes out jumbled together. She tries to fight off the man that is still holding her, but her legs stop working. She collapses in the arms that surround her.

"It took longer than usual to take effect." She hears a deep voice saying, but she can't hold her head up to see who is talking. Her attempt at calling for help comes out as a low groan.

"She delivers a good punch" A raspy voice says.

"Let's go." Says the first voice after giving an affirmative grunt.

The man holding her lifts her by the waist and places her on his shoulders. She can only see his back. She tries to move her arms, but they won't cooperate. Her whole body feels like it is being pulled down. Her eyelids drop despite her. She tries to shout for help one more time, with no result.

Her eyes close, but she can feel the man moving. The last thing she hears are doors opening and closing. Then unconsciousness claims her and the last thing she feels is panic.