Chapter 29

Kiara is walking with Luke through L.A.'s street. It is a beautiful day, the sun is shining high in the sky and there is no cloud at sight, but there is a gentle breeze that cools down the temperature. The day before had been his graduation ceremony and today is the first day of summer vacation. Their last summer together before he moves to a College in San Francisco.

Kiara and Luke are taking the long way home from the ice cream shop. As per tradition, the first day of every school break, be it summer, spring, or winter break, they go to the nearest ice cream shop to celebrate. It is one of the moments that Kiara cherishes the most, especially now that Luke is moving to another city.

He is telling her all about their plans for the summer, from going to beaches to movies nights and parties.

"Um... Luke?" Kiara says with caution in her tone.

Kiara had stopped listening to him for a while now. There is something bothering her since they exit the ice cream shop. And she didn't know what, until now.

"Yeah?" He asks curious in his sister's change of manner.

"Someone is watching us." She finally says in a low voice, turning her head slightly to see his reaction.

Like's face turns serious for a moment, but then he smirks.

"Nice try Ara, but I'm not falling for it"

"I'm serious Luke" she says sternly through clenching teeth. "There's a guy following us. You bumped into him a few blocks ago and I just saw his reflection in the building's glass wall!"

They stop walking. Kiara turns to look behind. The guy she is referring to flips his suit jacket inside out giving the appearance of an informal jacket, putting it on again and placing a baseball cap in his head in one fluid movement. It was so fast that if she hadn't seen it, she would have thought he was another person. Then he passes a few feet from them and disappears into the crowd.

"You mean that guy with the baseball cap." Luke looks at Kiara doubtfully. "The guy I bumped with had glasses and a suit. Are you feeling alright?"

"I - yeah. Just... forget I said anything." she looks at him, gives him a smile and keeps walking.

But her path is cut short by the same man, this time pointing a gun at them. When she looks nearer, his face resembles Berte's and with an evil smile he pulls the trigger. She watches as Luke crumbles besides her. Before she can react, Berte shots at her too.

Kiara wakes up with a bolt, her heart beating very fast. She puts her hand over her heart and takes a deep breath. It was just a dream. She repeats in her mind over and over until she calms down.

"Hey, are you okay?" Jessy says as she sits in the edge of her bed. "You were mumbling in your sleep."

"Yeah, it was just a bad dream." Kiara replies stretching her arms and back. "What time is it?"

"7:45" Jessy says as she searches for something to wear.

"What?! Why didn't you say so before? We're late!" Kiara says and quickly stands up.

"Relax, it's Saturday. We have more time to eat and do whatever we want." Jessy states.

Kiara slows down and gives Jessy a sheepish look. The nightmare and the late missions scrabbled Kiara's sense of time and day. She changes her cloths while Jessy is still deciding today's outfit.

Just then Kiara's phone on the nightstand vibrates with an incoming text. She unplugs her phone and opens the message:

MEETING IN 15 MINUTES