Wait.

Seonghwa stood before the large brass handles on his father's menacing office door, not wanting to touch them. As soon as his hands met to cool, familiar metal, he would have to look into his father's eyes. He'd have to face him.

But this wasn't about him. It was about Hongjoong. And justice. And truth.

He took a deep breath and opened the doors, settling his gaze on his shoes. He would look up eventually but he needed a moment.

"—can I call you back? I'm sorry I'm busy right—Seonghwa??"

His father had thought he was a staff member reporting some new information. Of course he wouldn't expect his son to drop by in the middle of the day, when the streets were busy and anyone might notice him.

But that wasn't a problem for Seonghwa anymore.

"What are you doing here?! Someone could have spotted you!"

His father seemed worried but Seonghwa couldn't feel guilty for it. Not when his identity would only hurt this monster more.

He deserved it.

"Seonghwa? Is everything okay?"

"I know about the factory fire ten years ago."

His father froze, standing behind his desk as he'd been attempting to close the doors.

"Why didn't you tell me? This whole time—you never told me what a monster you really are."

His father's face fell and Seonghwa finally dared to look into his eyes. They were brimming with tears. It was an act. It wasn't real.

He needed to stay strong.

He looked back down.

"Well? Do you have an answer? If not I'll just walk out of this office and never come back."

Seonghwa waited another minute and his father didn't speak. He didn't dare a glance up. He turned and headed back towards the door.

"Wait."

Seonghwa heard his father's voice catch on the one word. Slowly he turned to see his father's face running with tears. It made Seonghwa angry. He refused to let himself feel sympathetic.

"I'm waiting."

"I—I wanted to tell you."

"So why not? You didn't want me to know what kind of monster you are?!" Seonghwa felt his words leaving his lips harsher than he'd anticipated but it felt good. He wanted to scream at him.

"Yes."

Seonghwa had been ready to yell again but paused, stunned. Did his father just admit to being a monster?

"Because I didn't want you to know what a horrible person I really am. You always looked up to me—idolized me even—and I couldn't break your heart by telling you the truth."

Seonghwa stepped backwards, trying to sort out his words. Why didn't they feel like lies?

"You're manipulating me! You're trying to make me feel bad for you, but it won't work! I know what you really are!"

"I'm not trying make you feel bad. You shouldn't feel bad. You have every right to hate me."

"Stop! Messing with me!"

"I deserve to be locked away. I don't deserve to sit behind this desk. This company should have closed down when it happened. I shouldn't be allowed to be standing here, before my son, my incredible son. When I took away her chance to go home to hers."