Chapter 37 - The Horses

Wynonna's visit was over too soon. Waverly sobbed as she watched her ride away, several bottles of whiskey in her bag, knowing it could be weeks before she saw her again. Nicole took her on a picnic to cheer her up. The carriage pulled up near the lake on the estate, Nicole helping her down, walking across the field carrying a small hamper and a rug.

They found a spot, perfect for what Nicole had in mind, helping Waverly to sit, placing the hamper at the side of the blanket. She paced back on forth letting Waverly talk about all things Wynonna. After, what seemed like an eternity, Waverly stopped, watching Nicole deep in thought, not having listened to a word she had said.

"What's on your mind? You're not too upset Wynonna took your whiskey?"

"She could have a crate of the stuff for all I care. I needs ask you something. I be asking Wynonna."

"I wish you would speak to me first," Waverly huffed. "I mean I think that's how relationships work."

"I be wanting to know if you are happy here."

"And why would Wynonna know that and not me? Honestly N. You really annoy me."

"I be asking you if you are happy here."

"Yes. Is that it? That's all you wanted to ask me?"

"You are definitely happy here. And, you are happy with me?"

"I have my moments. Now is turning into one of those moments. Fine, I'm happy here. And, I'm happy with you."

Nicole stopped pacing, sitting beside Waverly, taking her hand. "Would you be happy with me forever?"

"I might moan, I may on occasions shout. Wait, are you asking..."

"I be asking. If you be having."

"Is this what you asked Wynonna?"

Nicole nodded. "I be wanting to spend my life with you Waverly Earp."

For once Waverly was lost for words. It took her several moments for Nicole's proposal to sink in. "You are asking me to be your wife?"

"I was thinking Dolls could do it when the circus comes back."

"You want to marry me?"

"I know we can't be married, but I wants you to know ain't having no one else in me life. Ever."

"Oh N. Yes. I want that. I want that more than anything. And, the baby can be a bridesmaid. And, maybe Daisy's baby too, if it arrives in time. You know I suspect Robin has intentions for her. I've seen the way he looks."

"He be looking at you the same way."

"N, I love you being jealous of Robin."

"I be happy for Daisy if she be happy."

"So, do I get a ring?"

"The biggest I can find. We can have someone come to the house. I be wanting the best for you."

Nicole's adopted family were overjoyed at the news, aunty crying, a few tears shed by Constance. Daisy hugged her two dearest friends, knowing they were happy together, knowing her soulmate was happy at last. She took Nicole's arm, strolling out to the rear garden, needing a moment alone with her N. "I'm so happy for you. N, you deserve this. And, Waverly. I will be there for you always."

"I be loving you, but I knows it now. Waverly has my heart. I confused saving you with caring for you. Are you happy with Robin?"

"Very. It's lovely having a gentle man, not someone who treats me bad. Will you give me away when the time comes?"