Chapter 26 - Alice's Heart

Waverly was coming round, wondering why she was in Nicole's arms. She went to sit up, Nicole adjusting her position in her arms. "I need to get back. N, put me down. I have to finish the show."

Nicole carried on walking towards aunty's wagon, determined that Waverly would not be put in any further harm. "N, put me down. Please. I fell that's all."

"Ferdinand nearly kicked you. You can't do this, not with the little one."

"That's not your decision. Put me down. Now. Or, else."

Nicole put her down, Waverly standing for a moment, attempting to regain her balance. She went to walk back to the tent, legs buckling under her, falling to the ground, her head spinning, a ringing in her ears. Nicole helped her up, lifting her once more in her arms, carrying on towards aunty's wagon.

"I just need a moment," Waverly insisted. "I'm fine. N, stop worrying."

"You can't stand. I be looking after you now. Ain't having you hurt anymore."

"I'm not some doll you can carry around. I'm used to this. It's what I do. N, you're making my head hurt. Put me down."

Nicole put her down once more, Waverly holding onto her arm for support, knowing she was fighting against a bad fall, knowing she should rest. She didn't want to admit to herself, or Nicole, her loss of balance was through being pregnant, through not giving herself enough time to rest before the performance. Her all night session with Nicole, much as it was exhilarating, had left her without enough stamina to perform the moves on the back of her horse. Ferdinand had spooked many times before, she had always been able to adjust to his sudden change in position. Not this time, too many factors were against her.

Her mind had also been elsewhere. Thoughts running through it about the future. About living in that big house. Or not. About whether she and N would stay together. About leaving Wynonna, about leaving her life with the circus, about no longer earning her own money. Nicole had mentioned several times feeling redundant, useless, if she did not have some form of work to carry out. She too wondered what her life would be like without riding bareback for a living. And, how would she fit in with toffs? She was a circus girl, born of gypsies, born in a circus wagon to a mother who spoke little English.

She lay on aunty's bed, her head spinning, waves of nausea rising, keeping her eyes closed to stop them taking over. Aunty rushed in, moving Nicole to one side, brushing Waverly's hair from her face. "Oh my lovely, that was a nasty fall. How be your head?"

"It's fine. I just need a moment. I think I'm going to be sick."

Aunty managed to grab a bowl just in time as Waverly hung over the edge of the bed. Nicole poured her a mug of water, offering it, finding a cloth to wipe her mouth. "Sorry, I'm so sorry. I feel much better now. Thank you."

"You be resting there." Aunty instructed. "You be right in no time. I'll make some of me tea for you. N, take Connie to Wynonna's wagon. I be over shortly."

Nicole did as she was told, Aunt Constance looking worried. "Will she be alright?"

"I be taking her to the hall. Can we stay till she's right?"

"Of course. My dear, it is yours, you can stay as long as you want."

"And, I be needing a doctor. I be worried she be hurt. Can I have some of me money now to get him?"

"I have money with me," Aunt Constance offered. "I will get our driver to fetch a doctor from town."

"Dolls be knowing him. I be asking him."