Chapter 22 - The House

By the time they arrived back at aunty's wagon the rum bottle was out. Aunty had filled two of her finest cups, offering one to her guest.

"Oh my, I have not had a drink this early in years," Aunt Connie said, raising her glass. "Your good health."

Nicole stood in the doorway no longer able to understand her life. Here was aunty about to break into song by the look on her face, happily mixing with someone she considered above her, the aunts clearly having bonded over their love of alcohol before a socially acceptable hour. Waverly brushed past, sitting on the bed, listening to the women grow more comfortable with each other.

A sharp thump on her back informed Nicole Wynonna had made an appearance. "So, you off then?"

"I be going to lunch at a hall. Be taking Waverly and aunty. You be welcome too."

"And miss all the boring work here. Not likely. No, you go, Waverly needs something to lift her spirits. There'll be plenty of time for me to visit. As long as there's enough room."

"Won't be knowing till I sees it. Reckon we could use the wagon mattresses if there not be enough room. I be happy sleeping on the floor, give you and Waverly the bed."

"Thank you. N, I know this is not something that happens every day. Well, not in my family. Take it for what it is. You've got a chance to make something of yourself. And, Waverly. And, the baby. I mean it's not as if you were any use here, what with your ropey hearing and gammy leg."

"Is that so? What else be wrong with me?"

"Well, there's the hair. Couldn't let you go without mentioning the hair."

"I be knowing you Wynonna Earp. The way you talk to Waverly. You be liking me secretly."

"Nothing of the sort," Wynonna replied, winking. "I'm merely letting you know how I really feel about you. Alright, I don't want to lose you, or Waverly, but if you have the opportunity to rise above all of this, then I give you my sister with our family's blessing. But, tell her Mabel stays here with me."

Nicole wanted to hug Wynonna, instead offering her hand. "I be making the best of it. Even with me hair. I be telling you now, Mabel comes with us."

"Alright. You can have Mabel. So where's that lazy, fat sister of mine. I need to speak to her before she gets too big for her costume."

The journey to Howton Hall was a little over an hour. Aunty chose to break up the silence with one of her less risqué songs, Nicole now wondering whether she might have miscalculated bringing aunty along. At least she was happy to be heading to Nicole's house. Waverly's hand was under hers, reassuring her she was not alone. Gazing out the carriage window, the view of open fields, punctuated by woodland made the journey slightly more pleasurable. A journey to a world she had not been part of, until now.

The carriage pulled into a long driveway, lined with enormous oak trees planted when the house was built. Aunt Connie could see Nicole was anxious, touching her knee, explaining the route to the house. "Your mother never got to see Howton Hall. She would have loved the trees and the stables. Oh, how she loved horses. You look so much like her, I am quite emotional. Although, that could be the rum talking."

"Who was my mother?"

"Such a beauty. Such a sweet temperament. She married George after your father abandoned her. It broke her heart to give you up."

"But, she did. And, I be put in that place, with that bas..."

"N, your mother didn't know," Waverly interrupted. "Aunt Connie why did she do that?"