Chapter 2

Mumbo immediately activated his elytra and rushed over to where the boy had fallen. It was over the ocean, between the shopping district and Tango's base, so the fall wouldn't kill him. Still, who knows what happened to the kid, and how the heck did he get here?

Mumbo arrived at the scene and dived under the water, searching for the boy. He had expected it to be at least somewhat difficult to find him, but his heart dropped when he saw a trail of red polluting the water, leading right to the kid.

The man used his fireworks to launch himself under the water and grabbed the boy. He then launched out of the ocean, and, with a burst of adrenaline, he flew back to the shopping district and landed near the main portal. After gently setting the injured kid on the ground, Mumbo pulled out his communicator and frantically messaged Xisuma and Stress to come with medical supplies.

Mumbo wouldn't think the kid was alive if not for the slight rise and fall of his chest. He had multiple injuries, most noticeably a large cut down his front. Mumbo took off his jacket, attempting to stop the blood flow. He couldn't do much else until help arrived.

Soon after, Mumbo heard the familiar sound of someone using the portal and Stress ran, slightly breathless, to him.

"What-" she paused as she saw the boy. "Oh my- what happened?"

As Mumbo explained, she rushed over to the kid, already starting to bandage him.

Xisuma interrupted Mumbo's frantic story by coming through the portal as well. He too stood in a beat of shock, and immediately began to ask questions.

"How did he get here? What happened to him? Who is he?"

"I have no clue," Mumbo answered, his voice wobbling slightly. He really had no idea what had happened. How had the boy gotten there? Nevertheless fallen out of the sky?

Stress looked up from her work. "We need to try to move him. I can't do any more unless we get him to my base."

"Okay," Xisuma responded. "But I doubt we can fly with the state he's in."

"Yeah, we need to find some other way...," She trailed off. "Mumbo, I need you to get something we can use as a stretcher."

"Okay." Mumbo ran to grab some wood from Ren's shop. He would pay him back later.

Impulse landed beside Xisuma, confused. "What's happening? I was going to get..." His eyes widened at the sight of the bandaged boy on the floor. "What-"

"Don't know," Xisuma interrupted him. "Can you help us move him to Stress's base?"

Still blinking a bit, Impulse responded, "He doesn't exactly look in a state to be moved."

"Mumbo is making a stretcher." Stress replied.

At that, Mumbo ran up with a wooden board. "This should work."

Stress and Impulse gingerly lifted the boy onto the board, the kid's feet hanging over the edge. For someone who didn't look over the age of 18, the boy was surprisingly tall.

"Is he going to be okay?" Impulse hesitantly asked.

"I hope so," Mumbo responded solemnly.

The group carefully made their way to the portal and to Stress's base. They set the boy down in a medical room the woman had set up.

"Y'all have done all you can," Stress said sternly after they had gotten the boy situated. "I will message you if he wakes up."

"Will he wake up?" Mumbo asked.

"We can only pray."

~

Within the next few days, it seemed the whole server had found out about the mysterious boy who had fallen from the sky. And, despite Stress's request to give space, everyone came to see the sleeping kid.

Mumbo came the most. He felt responsible for the kid. After all, he was the one who found him. He often just sat in the corner, reading or messing around with a bit of redstone circuitry. At first he only visited a bit, about once a day, but as time passed and the boy didn't wake up, he began lingering for hours on end, staying even through the night.

It had been a few days of Mumbo staying overnight, and Stress started to worry. The man was obviously sleep deprived, and he had dark bags under his eyes.

"Mumbo, he's going to be okay." Stress spoke up. "He's stable right now, just sleeping, unlike you. You need to go home and get some rest. I really don't need another sick person to take care of!"

"But what if he-"

"Mumbo. He's going to be fine. You don't need to feel responsible for him. Just get some sleep."

"Please," Mumbo tried to protest, "can I just-"

"Go." Stress interrupted him again.

Mumbo sighed in defeat and stood to put on his elytra. She was right, he really needed sleep. He was sure if he looked in a mirror that he would be slightly terrified by the state he was in. He just didn't want the boy to wake up while he was gone. He glanced back at the kid before waving to Stress and taking off.

"I'll be back soon." He silently promised the boy. "I swear."

~

Stress waved a goodbye as Mumbo flew into the sky in a burst of fireworks. She looked back at the boy, still sleeping peacefully. He had been there for about a week, and if he didn't wake up soon, she was going to start getting really worried.

His wounds, namely the large cut down his front, had mostly healed with the help of a few healing potions. Still, she couldn't know the full extent of his injuries without him waking up. And that's not even mentioning his mental distress. She saw way too many scars for a boy who looked only about 15. She didn't know how a person so young could get that injured. And she really didn't want to meet the person who had done this to him. Stress was worried. She had a feeling she had gotten into way more of a mess than she had first realized. But, again, she couldn't know anything without him waking up. She really hoped he would wake up.