Chapter Twenty Three

Tomas' POV

Everything stops, lights flash, the music halts, people turn around, and my eyes stare at the gym door.

Everyone is quiet, no whispers, no talking, just nothing.

I try to look over at the crowd of kids, and my eyes find Mia standing at the gym door.

My eyes wonder at her dress, her face, her body. I now know why everyone is staring at her.

She's absolutely beautiful.

She's stunning.

I see her face is red, maybe from the lights or she is just blushing. The dress holds her curves perfectly, her hair holds perfectly on her shoulders, in all she looks amazingly perfect.

I hear "awws" and "ooohhs" in the crowds of kids in front of me. I hear a low whistle from a gang of bad boys in the back of the gym.

She was mine. Until I screwed up. Badly. And now she has eyes from other guys. Why Tomas why? Why did you mess up? Why?

I see Mia look though the crowd of people, when her light green eyes land on me, she quickly turns around and walks towards a popular guy from our grade. It's Alexander Sposito.

He flirts with her a bit, touching her waist and arm a bit, giving her a so called sexy smirk, and laughs at everything. Ugh, just revolting.

I see other guys looking quite jealous, including me. I can't take my eyes off her. The way she talks, the way she laughs, and the way she dresses, catches my eye. I just can't help it.

I see Mia give Alexander a peck on the cheek, and he leads her to the dance floor. I feel like I've been stabbed though my heart, my brain going on and on, thinking of ways to get her back.

I don't realize until my back is against the wall and my eyes are misty, that I'm in love with Mia Thompson, my next door neighbor.

I run a hand through my dark hair, sighing a bit, and head to the refreshments.

"Hey, so like do you know that girl?" A British voice asks me.

I spin around and see the new British kid.

"Uh yeah. Why?" I peer at him.

"I was going to ask if she's dating anyone that's all. She's hot." He says in a perfect accent. Psh I can do a better American accent, that is A LOT cuter than his.

"Well she just got out of an relationship. So yeah, she's single." I try to stay as calm as I possibly can, but I can feel my jaw tightening, my hands curling into a fist, and my eyes glaring at him. I bet, I look like I'm just about to punch the poor guy.

"Cool. Thanks mate." He replies and pats me on the back. I see him walking away while staring at Mia.

Mia is now talking to a group of girls, while not knowing a group of guys staring at her. I wonder what happened to Alexander.

The British guy, who's name I don't know goes up to her. My mouth goes dry.

My heart shatters into pieces.

I see her smile and nod her head. I can hear the girls beside her squeal.

He takes her hand, and leads her to the dance floor once again.

She looks happy, she looks like she is enjoying herself, and she doesn't seem to care about me.

"Yo-o dude-e. You-u just gon-na let Cas-sper Lee-e take yo girl-l?" One of my friends ask. I bet he's drunk, but he has a good point.

"So that's his name." I mutter under my breath. Guess the British kid does have a name.

"What did ya-a s-say?" He replies, slurring.

Yup, definitely drunk.

"Yeah I'll get her back. I've got a plan." I say back to him, and he turns away.

Crap, I don't have a plan at all.

No plan. No Mia. Simple as that.

She looks care-free, having a wonderful time, while I'm here trying to fix this so called "relationship."

I see that she is smiling at the British guy. He seems to catch her eye.

I don't like him.

At all.

She wouldn't go out with him? Right? She would just be considered a slut if that happened. Is it possible she'll go out with him?

My body shakes, I feel tears stinging, ready to fall down. I know she likes me, but I know she can like other guys too.

And all I want is her, all to myself. I'm being so selfish, I just want to see her in my arms, taste her wonderful lips again, smell her familiar apple and honey scent on her when I embrace her, see her eyes illuminate when she sees me.

I take a seat on one of the chairs, and run a hand through my messy hair. I can see Mia, she's still with Casper. Now their bodies are closer than before, while they are dancing. She seems more relaxed, her eyes have that slight twinkle in them, her mouth slowly parted open, and her body moving against the rhythm.

Casper, the British kid, is holding her waist tightly, his lips has a smile on them, his body is moving in sync with Mia's.

I feel a pang of guiltiness arise in my chest, I can feel my heart cracking, every time Mia dances with someone else.

Mia isn't a game. She's not the treasure. I was the player. And some how I won her heart, by not playing by the rules.

But it's not the same anymore.

I can't win her heart, again.

She can't be won, again.

This time I'll be with her once again.

This time following the rules.

This time, fairly.

All rights reserved © 2016 Anne Chen