41. Trust Me

SCARLETT

The search of serenity brought me here, to the beach.

The sea and the sand appear more soothing and beautiful under the dark sky at night. I sat on a bench, gazing at the vast world in front of me, my hands resting on it.

I feel like I'm cut off from the world. It's better sometimes to be alone with your own thoughts.

I felt a warm hand over mine. I looked beside me to find its owner staring at the sea.

"Aaron, please leave me alone. Go away."

He briefly looked at me, stood up and took both my hands in his. He then kneeled down in front of me.

"I never repeat past mistakes, and leaving you was one."

Have I heard a different version of the same line before?

"Lett, I beg you... please talk to me.", he said staring in my eyes.

"You are five years late to say that."

"I know... and I'm paying for my mistake. I lost my heart. And when I found it back, it again seems to slip away. I don't deserve your forgiveness, but please, don't hate me Lett. I can no more bear this distance between us."

"Aaron I don't hate you. I... I forgive you."

My sentence threw him in a shock.

"W- What... seriously Lett?", he asked unable to comprehend my sudden change of heart.

I nodded.

"Why? I mean, you don't have to out of pity. Two days ago I was like dying for it, but now I know... forgiveness can't be forced."

Wait... did he just again... used alliteration!

"I forgive you, cause I want to. Someone gave me words of wisdom."

That brought a broad smile on his face. I felt a burden lift up from my heart. It feels so light.

"I- I... You can't imagine how happy I am... I want to celebrate."

It's so soothing to see his childlike happy face.

"Would you dance with me? Please.", he got up and gently pulled my hands.

"What? Here?"

"Yes here.", he beamed with delight.

He pulled out his phone, played "Perfect" and placed it on the bench.

His hands then settled on my waist, while mine were on his shoulders.

My steps started working in wonderful synchronization with his. We swayed in the rhythm of the beautiful song, forgetting the place, the time, the life.

I don't deserve this, Darling, you look perfect tonight.

With our eyes fixed on each other, we danced alone, underneath the silent sky.

"I was longing to ask you something.", he said twirling me.

"Go ahead."

"Are you still jealous of me?"

"What for?"

"For what you used to be in college. The same old reason that my name has alliteration."

"What?", my eyes widened, "Nooooo." Damn, he remembers.

"Liar.", he rolled his eyes.

"Would you like to share anything?", he asked pulling me closer, "Your face says you want to."