33. Second Chance

SCARLETT

"You here?", I asked wide-eyed.

"This cabin is mine, I guess.", he said, standing too close.

"What? Uh... I didn't know. Amy brought me here and left, and I think someone has locked the door from outside.", I said.

"I see. Someone might have locked it accidently considering it unoccupied."

"Hmm. Uh... could you call someone for help? My cellphone is with Rae.", I asked, feeling uneasy because of the situation.

"Umm... actually I can't. The battery of mine is dead.", he said pointing at his phone kept on a console at a corner.

Damn it! This is too bad.

Sitting at a corner of the bed, he said, "Amelia brought you here, right. She might return soon and open the door. Until then please have a seat." He said patting beside him on the bed.

"No thanks, I'm good."

And then, an awkward silence followed. He sat contemplating, with his eyes fixed on the floor, while I stood beside the door with folded hands, gazing all around.

Where is Amy? Is she drunk again? In that case, I would have to stay here until someone finds us. No... That would be worst. This cruise wasn't a good idea at all!

Had my phone been with me, I could have kept myself busy in it than suffocating in this tension. Oh wait... had my phone been with me I could've prevented this situation in the first place.

In this whole big world... I had to be stuck with this man. Well played dear fate!

"For how long are you planning on standing there? Come on, you can have a seat.", he said again after approximately 20 minutes.

This time I agreed. I sat beside him, careful to maintain a feet's distance between us.

"I'm sorry!", he said all of a sudden.

"For what exactly, because there's a long list of deeds for which you ought to be sorry."

"For everything. I'm sorry for everything Lett."

"It's Scarlett for you."

My nickname is reserved only for my family and friends, and he belongs to none of the above categories.

He looked at me with guilty blue eyes.

"After meeting you again, I regret the decision of leaving that day without trying to get you back.", he said taking me off-guard.

I couldn't reply. My gaze was locked in his eyes. A deep pain froze my heart for a second.

"Scarlett... I'm sorry for what I did that day. Somewhere I feel, we separated because of me. I... I should've heard what you had to say.".

"But you didn't.", I finally said, "Despite my pleadings, you didn't."

"I was angry. I wasn't able to control myself."

Is he really guilty for that? I doubt if he had found the truth, but that's not possible.

"Is that all you want to say?"

The moment my words fell in his ears, he moved and kneeled down in front of me.

Taking my hands in his, he said, "Lett, I've spent five years suffering the outcome of my mistake, and..."

"And?"

"I need a second chance Lett... Please give us a chance."

"I can't." My mouth didn't take long to speak.