"I'm sorry for creating such a drama."

"Don't be sorry. I think this needed to be said a long time ago." Lisa said.

"I know, but I shouldn't have dragged you into it. You deserve better on the first Thanksgiving without your parents."

She rubbed my back. "Don't worry about me. I'm more worried about you."

The compassion in Lisa's gaze and the tenderness in her voice made new tears form in my eyes. God, how embarrassing. Now you're crying in front of Lisa on top of everything else. I tried to get my emotions under control, but my head was pounding too much.

"Come here." Lisa put one arm around me and pulled me close.

For a few moments, I wanted to struggle and pull away. I can handle this on my own. I always had.

But was that really what I wanted? I had just told off my parents for not supporting me, and now I was about to reject Lisa's help. She was offering support without asking for anything in return or implying that I was weak.

I closed my eyes. This close, I could smell Lisa's sandalwood soap. I breathed in the comforting scent and relaxed.

Being comforted by Lisa wasn't embarrassing. It's not humiliation. It's love.

The thought hit me in the chest and took my breath away. I let myself fall against the warmth of Lisa's body and wrapped both arms around Lisa, clinging to her. Tears leaked out of my eyes, and I was helpless to stop them. I felt like an old piece of clothing that was coming apart at the seams.

Lisa pulled my head against her shoulder as if wanting to hide the sight of my tears from the world.

In the dining room, chairs scraped over the tiles.

I didn't look up from my hiding place against Lisa's shoulder. Oh, please, don't let them come in here. I couldn't face my family or answer their questions right now, partly because I didn't have the answers yet.

"Hey," Lisa said into the silence. Her breath brushed over my neck, making goose bumps break out all over my scalp. "You okay?"

"No," I mumbled against the warmth of her shirt. "Nothing is okay anymore."

Now the tears fell in earnest. I squeezed my eyes shut to hold them back, but it was as if a dam had broken and I was trying to stop tons of water with my bare hands. Finally, I gave up and pressed my face against her shoulder while I cried.

"They ... they never told me they loved me. Never." I hiccupped and fought to get some control back. "How can I now tell ... tell them that you and I ... that it's all a lie?"

Lisa smoothed her palm over my hair. She paused. Her fingers, which played with a strand of hair, trembled.

"Is it?" Lisa whispered, her voice breaking.

What? I lifted my head off Lisa's shoulder and looked at her. Does that mean ...? Does she feel the same? Is this real for both of us? My heart pounded in a rapid rhythm.

Our gazes met and held. Lisa's eyes, glittering with emotions, repeated the question.

In search of an answer, my mind flashed back over the last few weeks. I remembered Lisa's sincere interest during the first meeting in the restaurant. Her smile and the way she listened to me. Lisa's trusting gaze when I had taken care of her when she was sick.

That wasn't a lie.

Neither were my own reactions to Lisa. I had never felt so at ease, so in tune with anyone in my life. Now that my world was tilting on its axis, I found a safe haven hiding against Lisa's shoulder.