I sighed and nodded.

Jennie rubbed my back again, making me lean into the soothing touch.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jin watches us with a wrinkle on his forehead.

For a moment, I wondered if Jennie had noticed him watching and was acting for his sake but then decided that Jennie probably wasn't even aware she was stroking my back. She really cares about how I feel. The thought made happiness flow through me like warm honey.

When Jennie took her hand away, I shivered.

Silence ruled while we ate, interrupted only by polite requests to pass the mashed potatoes or Mrs. Kim's retelling of her latest art exhibition. No one asked Jennie how she was doing or where she had met me.

"Try some of the wine, Dad," Jennie said. "Lisa brought it. She has her own vineyard and makes the best wine in the state."

Again, the compliment was probably meant to convince Jin that Jennie was smitten, but I still felt my stomach warm with pleasure.

Mr. Kim lifted the bottle and studied the label. "1996." He glanced at me. "A good year?"

"The best," I said with a decisive nod.

Jennie looked up and met my gaze. "That's my birth year."

"I know." I smiled at her. "Like I said: the best year."

A hint of red dusted Jennie's cheeks, but she didn't lower her gaze. She looked into my eyes as if searching for something.

I sat caught in that gaze, afraid to even blink and interrupt our connection. Something's happening between us, isn't it? That almost-kiss yesterday wasn't just a fluke.

A cough made me look up.

Jin held out his glass. "Can I have some of that wine, please?"

"Sure." I took the bottle from Mr. Kim and filled Jin's glass to the brim. Maybe if we get some alcohol into him, we'll have an easier time convincing him that we're a couple. I sighed. Yeah. Convincing him. That's what this is all about.

The crown of whipped cream on my piece of pumpkin pie looked inviting, but instead of eating, I twirled my fork through the white substance

Thanksgiving dinner was drawing to an end, and I still hadn't accomplished my goal. I glanced over at Jin.

He leaned his head on his hand and pretended to listen to our father's recounting of this afternoon's concert. As soon as the pie was gone, he would help carry the dishes to the kitchen. Then he would leave to catch the football game since our parents didn't own a TV.