Chapter 32 - Daisy Chain

Magsimula sa umpisa

It was all becoming too much for Daisy. The kindness being shown, the stress of the beating, her escape, being in Nicole's house suddenly overwhelming her. She burst into tears as aunty went to place the steak on her eye. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. That steak is too expensive to use on me. Please, don't fuss, I'm not used people fussing over me."

Waverly entered the drawing room, Nicole following her eyes falling on Daisy, rushing to console her. "I be here. What be wrong? Ain't ever letting you go back to that man."

"You've all been so kind. I don't deserve this. I really don't deserve this."

"I be feeling the same when aunty found me. We be thinking no one could love us. Be telling you now, we be as worthy as any. Let aunty help your eye. It be sore looking."

Waverly had tears in her own eyes. Daisy was the same as her N, conditioned to believe they were unlovable, Daisy not realising the treatment she received from her man was not her fault. She hoped, in time, Daisy would come to realise she was loved, not just by Nicole, but by those who had ended up at Howton Hall.

The doctor arrived early evening, agreeing the wrist was broken, resetting it for her without any pain relief, immobilising it afterwards. Aunty gave her two glasses of brandy to dull the pain, everyone watching the doctor while he worked. He told her to rest, keep her arm in a sling, applying arnica paste to reduce the bruising on her face, unable to do much for the cut on her lip. He offered to return in a few days to check on her, his manner far more accommodating knowing she would be a guest of Howton Hall.

Nicole showed her to one of the bedrooms, asking a maid to find her a nightgown and prepare a light meal. She helped her undress, trying not to look at her body, knowing her eyes were roaming. Daisy placed a hand on Nicole's arm. "It's fine. Remember how we kept each other warm those cold nights."

Nicole nodded, wanting to lay with her, to comfort her, her feelings becoming muddled. She had no idea why. Daisy was her friend, her family, she was with Waverly. Yet, she was being pulled towards her in a way she had not expected. She could feel her cheeks burning, knowing she needed to remove herself from the room.

The maid returned with a tray carrying a bowl of soup, several slices of buttered toast and a warm cup of tea. She asked Nicole to sit with her for a while, Nicole declining, saying she needed to check on Caspian, that she would send Waverly up. Their eyes locked for a moment, enough for Daisy to realise why Nicole had become awkward around her. "Nicole, I understand. Really. We were young, naïve, we didn't know what we were doing. You're with Waverly now."

Nicole turned, leaving the room, knowing she had not been naïve in the orphanage.

Waverly went to sit with Daisy, the pair talking about the house and her pregnancy. They really were good together, Waverly's natural exuberance and Daisy's quiet acceptance creating an easy friendship they both hoped would be lasting.

It gave Nicole a chance to speak her feelings to Caspian. "I be thinking a wrong thing, Caspian. It be not right. Not now. Not with Waverly. I be confused. It be alright. I be thinking of the baby. That be doing it. Think of the little one."

Ferdinand was kicking the front of his stall, looking for attention. She stroked his neck, reaching in her pocket for a sugar lump for him. "Don't you be a telling Waverly. She be mad enough with me giving you a lump like Caspian."

He sniffed her hand for another lump, Nicole looking round in case Waverly came in, retrieving another, letting Ferdinand have an extra treat for bringing aunty's wagon back for her.

Aunty had placed all her ornaments on her allotted shelf in the drawing room, standing back admiring her collection. She rushed to Nicole as she entered the room. "How is she? Dreadful what happened to her. She's a pretty thing too, someone doing that to her face."

"She be wanting to work at the circus. Arm needs mending first."

"That will take time, my lovely. Bones be a long healing. At least she's here. N, you look tired. Have you had something to eat?"

"No. Nor Waverly. She needs to feed for the baby. She be with Daisy."

Waverly entered. "She's sleeping. I could do with rest myself. I'll see if Doris can bring us a tray in our room. N, are you coming?"

"In a moment. You be going. I needs be talking to aunty."

"Fine, don't be long. I may be asleep if you're not quick."

Aunt Constance retired to the library to finish off some correspondence. Waiting until they were alone, Nicole paced the room, knowing she needed to tell aunty what was on her mind, not knowing how to start. "Here, my lovely, come sit, tell me what it is?"

Nicole sat in the armchair next to aunty's staring into the fire. "I be having feelings for Daisy. It be wrong, but..."

"Oh N, my lovely, you and Waverly are good together. And, you have the baby. Don't you go thinking you can be with Daisy. Wouldn't be right. Be breaking Waverly's heart and yours."

"Be knowing that. Be telling me self that. Be worried Waverly seeing it in me eyes that's all."

"You're a good child. Always have been. It would upset Waverly if you told her. She won't take kindly to you making eyes at Daisy, but she'd be more upset if you said you had feelings."

"I be not knowing what to do aunty? I be loving Waverly and the baby."

"I know you do N. Sleep on it. Think carefully what you be doing with Waverly's heart. She be too precious for that."