Chapter 5 The Tricks Up His Sleeve

Start from the beginning

"Did I miss something? Because I don't remember getting engaged to you." she said, trying to keep her voice from shaking. Her hands were trembling as they clenched the blanket and Ji Hoon noticed it.

"I understand our little engagement date didn't go so well. I should have realized you'd want more time with me, we should after all, get to know each other better. So I intend to make it up to you. In the meantime, I've been preparing our – nuptials." Luke said with a slap-able smirk. Laura choked in horror. She couldn't believe her ears. A thought crossed her head at that moment – did her stepfather arrange this? Was he seriously going to force her into marriage with this – ingrate?

She wished she was anywhere but there – any escape would suffice. A distraction, an earthquake, the end of the world...

A soft melodious laugh startled her. Ji Hoon had thrown back his head, a genuine grin on his face.

"That's rich. I'm sure the line of men waiting to get affianced to my Laura is long but this is just hilarious." He said. Laura gaped at him. Did he just say – his Laura?

"What?" Luke asked like he didn't understand.

"In case you haven't gotten the message, I'M HER BOYFRIEND." Ji Hoon said with granite hard emphasis. Luke looked at him with disdain.

"Excuse me? Are you trying to pull some sort of joke? You can't be her boyfriend. She said she doesn't have any." He said. Ji Hoon was unmoved.

"Really? Because I've been taking care of her for the last two weeks and –" he paused with a wicked one-sided smirk, "I haven't left this room without her." Luke blinked and faltered. Laura caught on what Ji Hoon was trying to pull and straightened her face. He gave her a silent look of assent hoping she'd understand.

"That's not – that's impossible!" Luke spluttered. Ji Hoon shrugged.

"Ask the security team outside. You can even ask the nurses and doctors. I haven't left her bedside since she was admitted here." he said nonchalantly. Laura gave him a quick look. Luke's mouth hung open stupidly.

"But – I thought you were some sort of guard!" he said. Ji Hoon stretched his hands wide gesturing to his scruffy clothes.

"Do I look like a security guard? I'm not even in uniform. My bag of clothes is right there. I've been living in this room you know." He said almost in enjoyment of watching Luke's flabbergasted face.

"No, no, you're lying!" Luke almost shrieked. "Laura is making you lie for her, isn't she?!" Ji Hoon decided to finish off his little byplay with a bang and sat beside Laura. He took her hand gently in his, intertwining their fingers. Laura watched him with a mixture of wonder and acquiescence.

"Am I?" Ji Hoon asked with a teasing look at Luke that was almost serpentine. He brought her knuckles to his lips and brushed amorous kisses across them. Laura stifled a gasp, watching him wordlessly. His warm lips felt like hot iron rods on her icy hands and the heat spread up her arm to her neck before setting fire to her cheeks. A kiss that lasted three seconds felt like hours to her. It was like being under a sedative yet having all her senses intact and feeling every touch with utmost awareness...

"Haven't you gotten a clue yet?" Ji Hoon asked with silky sarcasm. Luke made a strangled noise in his throat, turned and left the room. Outside he dialed a number on his phone.

"WHAT THE EFFING HELL?! Why is there some guy in Laura's room claiming to be her boyfriend?! He yelled. The door opened and Ji Hoon appeared holding the gift basket.

"Oh, and we don't need this." He said, flinging the gift basket into Luke's arms. It hit him in the gut and he stumbled back. "And get out of here before you start running your mouth. This is a public place and you're disturbing the patients. Don't you have any manners?" he asked with a look of dignified repulsion. Luke stared at him, strange sounds issuing from his throat.