Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Work. 30 minutes.

"I have to go." Adam suppressed a sigh, tucking his phone back into his pocket and lifting his gaze to meet Cole's.

The other boy frowned but nodded slowly. "Okay. Can I give you a ride?"

Adam shook his head. "I've got my bike, but thanks."

Another slow nod. "I guess I'll see you around."

"Guess so."

Cole turned and walked away. Adam gazed after him, eyes trained on his back as he watched the taller boy retreat before disappearing around a corner.

Adam was startled out of his reverie when his phone alarm sounded again. With a sigh, he pulled it out to silence it before turning and heading the other way.

***

The afternoon went by quickly. Night fell as Adam went about his services, frost settling against the shop windows and encasing the building in a biting chill. The storm had passed but left thick fog in its wake.

Adam was completing a tyre rotation on a Ford Fiesta, earbuds in and The Neighbourhood playing softly when the roar of a car engine sounded from outside.

Adam's head snapped up. He removed one earphone, head cocked as he listened for any follow-up noise. Nothing happened but Adam wasn't convinced.

It was just after ten p.m. Marty and the guys had left hours ago. Who would be coming to the garage at this time of night?

Slowly, Adam crept toward the windows. No headlights splashed into the shop from the outside but he clung to the shadows anyway.

Marty had cameras but they were just for show. They'd broken over a decade ago and Marty had never bothered to fix them. In a town like Spring Creek, everyone knew everyone anyway.

Adam reached the nearest window and cautiously raised his head to look out. There were no cars in the drive and the last headlights on the main road had been over twenty minutes ago.

Adam felt a chill run down his spine. He wasn't concerned about being in the shop alone at night. It was the way things were and Adam had gotten used to it long ago.

Still, an unnerved feeling was growing in his stomach. The roller door was down, and Adam was sure he'd locked the office door. Hadn't he?

He startled a moment later when his phone buzzed in his pocket.

Before he could respond, a knock sounded on the door. Adam snapped his head up in the direction of the office. He crossed the workshop, checking his phone again to make sure he hadn't read the message wrong.

I'm outside.

Cole was here. Cole had come to see Adam.

Sure enough, when Adam unlocked the garage door, it swung open to reveal none other than Cole Decker standing on the doorstep of Marty's Garage. Adam's heart slammed against his ribcage at the sight of him.