Chapter Forty One

Start from the beginning

Perhaps Blood Demons have the ability to corrupt Elysians, humans blessed souls.

Perhaps being Depraved is worse than being killed, and it is more favorable to the enemy than simply killing them.

So, who among us will be corrupted first? Raia thinks as she looks at her team.

"You guys slew a Blood Demon? That's insanely cool!" Jade, a man with shoulder-length dark hair, says, unaware of the abrupt changes in their expressions. He's dressed in an Aragon uniform and appears to be in his mid-thirties.

"I should call Bishop Galbraith right now; he'll be thrilled to hear about this!" Milan exclaims with a broad smile, but before he can walk away, the aforementioned man appears.

"What's all the commotion about?" Cyrus, dressed as a bishop, descends the spiral staircase with Sonnet. As soon as his feet touch the ground, he adjusts his rimless spectacles and looks around the crowded area near the entrance.

"Raiden's team has returned!" someone yells.

Cyrus's eyes widen and he slows his pace. "What did you just say?"

The crowds part in response, revealing the four Aragons. A tremendous silence falls over the place. Cyrus lets out a shocked gasp before rushing forward, the pitter-patter of his footsteps swallowing the silence. His steps come to a halt once he approaches them. His hair has grown a little longer, and the stubble on his chin truly reflects the fact that Raia and her team had been gone for a month. He sweeps his gaze over their disheveled appearances. When his eyes fall on Raiden, he appears to be about to hug him but instead he ruffles the boy's hair.

"Welcome back," Cyrus greets in a soft voice.

Raiden's expression softens and a smile forms on his lips. "We're back, brother."

Cyrus returns the smile before ruffling Nathan's, Sunshine's, and Raia's hair. "Welcome home."

Raia's eyes widen slightly as an unfamiliar sensation warms her insides. What is that? Is that a sudden reaction to hearing the word "home"? Or is it the way the word is said? There is genuineness in it.

Genuine . . .

Raia raises her gaze to Cyrus, who smiles warmly at her.

"Welcome home, Raia," he croons.

The strange sensation washes over her once more. She stares at Cyrus, searching his face, but all she sees is honesty. She takes a step back and lowers her head. Can she offer the same trust to the head of this home now that she has decided to trust her comrades?

"We're glad to see you again," Sonnet says in a soft voice like a mother speaking to her child.

"Miss Sonnet!" Sunshine bawls, tears welling up in her eyes. She wraps her arms around the woman's waist and buries her face in her chest.

Sunshine's sobs are contagious that Raiden and Nathan end up crying as well. Tears stream down their cheeks like a river escaping a dam.

Cyrus, Sonnet, and everyone else in the room stare at them, their eyes wide with confusion.

"What's wrong?" Cyrus asks, alarm in his voice. He clasps Raiden's shoulders. "Kara, why are you crying? Has something happened?"

"Maybe tears of joy?" Kris, an Aragon with dark man bun hair and a beard, suggests. He has such a masculine physique that he appears to be in his late thirties.

Sunshine tightens her arms around Sonnet as she continues to sob, making the woman even more intrigued.

"It's Nihar," Raiden says, wiping his tears away. "Nihar is . . ."