c3.27: revealed

I only needed two suitcases

Only two medium suitcases to collect my things out of Kai’s place. I only owned some clothes and a few personal belongings. Everything else was his.

“Please, rethink your decision,” he begged for the umpteenth time. “Where are you going anyway?”

I didn’t want to ever reply because I knew my voice would crack if I tried to. The situation needed me to be strict, but with every look into his grey eyes, every time hearing him apologise and beg me to stay, a layer of my tough shell peeled.

“Mel, please.”

I finally faced him. He looked miserable with his unshaven beard, hooded eyes, and only ever caring to wear a singlet. His broad shoulders I usually leant on were slumped in defeat. The clue of a sleepless night, and maybe tearing, was under his tired eyes. His hair was messy, complaining of Kai’s hand constantly running through it.

“Ryan helped me find a furnished flat.”

His fists and teeth clenched, an expression of spite quickly passing by his features. “Where?”

I sighed. “I’ll keep it to myself for now, but eventually, I know you will find me.”

“I can’t live away from you anymore. One more night of living in lonely guilt, and I’ll be consumed to ashes, Melanie. Can’t we fix this while you stay?”

I wasn’t going to repeat myself and tell him that was a part of me getting time away from him to make the right decision. Maybe our whole relationship started on a brittle basis, to begin with. So, I merely shook my head. I pulled both suitcases alone to the door. He thought it would stop me if I didn’t get help moving them, but no. They were light enough to be held by a woman. I stopped at the door and faced him. He looked at me with such fragility in his eyes.

“See you soon.”

\

“Well, I’ll go get us some food, Angel,” Ryan announced. “I thought it wouldn’t be tiring to move to a furnished flat, but I was wrong. Been a week of organising. Now I’m hungry.” He chuckled.

I nodded. “Thank you for helping me, Ryan. I will return the favour someday.”

He smiled, but his eyes held a tinge of sadness. “You know what I would like you to do. But take your time.”

I wasn’t ready.

I nodded. The guy left my new place to get food as he promised. I checked the area one more time, proud of our work. Ryan put some genuine effort into it. The rent wasn’t too expensive although the flat was modern and in a good neighbourhood. I could pay it from my salary and have the rest for food and such necessities.

The doorbell rang shortly after. I thought that was fast of Ryan. I opened it with a smile on my face, but the sight of the person behind it washed off the smile.