Chapter 7: The Lift Attendant

I woke up to the smell of coffee in front of me. When I opened my eyes, it was Diamond handing me coffee.

"Thanks."

He just nodded at me and proceeded to sit across from me. Dun ko lang napansin na nasa VIP Suite na pala kami ng hospital.

Nakahiga ako sa may sofa bed kaya umupo ako kaagad.

"Kuya, nasaan si Heart? May nagbuhat ba sakin papunta dito?" Pagkatanong ko nun, tinignan ako ni kuya Diamond bago ibaba ang coffee na iniinom niya sa tapat ng table namin.

"Unlike you, Heart made it to one of the spare rooms and fell asleep on an actual bed. Naalimpungatan ka. Nung ginising kita, wala ka sa sarili mo at nung pagdating natin dito sa VIP Suite bumagsak na agad katawan mo diyan sa sofa."

Oh.

"Kamusta yung operasyon ni mama kuya? Nasaan si Club?" tanong ko.

"They're stable."

Thank God.

But my relief was short lived however, when he said,

"But Club is going to have complications due to his injuries. Smoke inhalation caused his lungs to swell up due to lack of oxygen." Oh my God.

"He hasn't woken up yet. They had to perform Bronchoscopy to see how much damage the smoke did to his lungs." He sipped his coffe again before he continued,

"Lucky for us, hindi siya nag stay sa hotel ng matagal, kung hindi, he's at the risk of getting Carbon Monoxide poisoning."

God, I wonder what shape he's in.

As if reading my mind he said,

"He's in rough shape, but he'll live. He's in the other room beside Heart's."

"What about mom?" I asked. Looking at him directly. He took a sip of his coffee again and gulped before he continued,

"Mom is stable. They already removed the bullet lodged in her abdomen. The operation was a success. However due to her condition now and her loss of blood, she's still unconscious and we don't know when she'll wake up."

"How's her head kuya?"

Natigilan siya. Pero pilit niyang pinakalma ang sarili niya. No one could've seen the hesitation. No one but me.

I knew it. Lagi na lang siyang ganiyan.

Tinatago ang mga information na hindi ko "daw" kailangang malaman.

"Concussion. We don't know yet if it's mild or not. She may or may not wake up with memory loss. Or... worst case scenario, might not wake up at all."

My world... stopped. Not for me, but for kuya.

"Kuya..."

"I know."

With dad missing, mom fighting for her life, and Club unconscious and not fit to rule, there's only one option left.

Diamond will lead. For the sake of our Mafia.

God help us.

No one said anything after that.

"Have you slept... at all, Kuya?" I asked.

"I'm okay Spade. Puntahan ko lang si mama. Ako na muna magbabantay sa kaniya. You have to go to Club's room. See if he's awake." He left after that, not letting me argue with him anymore.

Tumungo na ako papunta sa room ni Club. Not bothering to knock, I just went in and close the door gently.

Nakakapaghina yung nakita ko.