Before You Go

It was a beautiful day, sunny, no cloud to be seen for miles, the best weather in a long while. It was late October quite unusual to have such a good day out. There could be a perfectly logical, Scientific explanation for why, on this day the sun decided to shine so bright but Oliver Brown had rather a little more spiritual explanation to give, not that it was important but still at that moment it seemed like the best thing to be thinking about. To Oliver it was the only thing that mattered at that moment, not the familiar house that was now full of people but soon enough would be empty and abandoned, not the people that came up to talk to him all with something supportive to say and a sad glance, not his mother crying in the corner with his father at her side, not the many relatives who he didn't even know in the kitchen eating and talking away... no nothing else was more important to him than the weather. The walk there was a quiet affair, no-one said anything not that there was really anything to say. Everyone seemed to be seeking out each other, cousins, aunts, uncles every single person just seemed to be there, close to one  another, afraid, scared that even a single glance in the other direction and the person on their side would just up and vanish. Oliver couldn't blame them it was all too sudden what had happened for everyone, even for him and his family who were the most supposedly close it was still a big shock. Not too soon they were there, Oliver couldn't look now he wasn't that strong, he hid behind some relatives he hadn't seen in years and only looked up at the sky, the sun was still the brightest he had seen it since October came along; "It's you, I know it's you" he thought while watching up at the sky. The priest at the front was now talking as some of the strongest men in the family were laying it down. Oliver wasn't listening, no he was now captivated by the only cloud in the sky, a small one, the only one all day but still visible to anyone and everyone. Before he even realised it, he was dragged under his mother's protective arms in the black car at the end of the hill. It was late already, the sun was now setting but still as bright, saying its own goodbye in its own unique way. Where had time gone? It felt like minutes ago that he was so intensively watching that lonely cloud in the sky, talking to the sun with his thoughts. He couldn't tell you who walked up to the podium, if his mum managed after all to say that story she was thinking of saying, if that man he had seen at the house crying alone in a far away corner walked up to talk, what his grandparents had to say, nothing, but he could tell you why it was such a good day today, why the sun was shining so bright in such otherwise gloomy day, the purpose of the lonely cloud in the sky at the reception. "It was you, I know it was you" he kept on thinking and when his grandmother mentioned how unexplainably good the weather had been the following day he finally talked, finally said everything he had been thinking about the day before. He thought they would call him crazy but in some beautiful way what he said made sense and even if they couldn't still accept everything that had happened they could accept this. "It was her, I know it was her, it was her way of telling us that she is ok that even if she's not around anymore she's finally ok".