The past he doesn't remember - Yiruma Time forgets

As a child, Brett never liked following his father's business meetings.

His father wanted Brett to learn a bare minimum of what his family was doing in Handorr though. Thus, while Brett was allowed to focus on his music studies, he was required to follow some of his father's meetings.

Brett was a seven years old, waiting patiently for his father in Port Kaiim. His father had said it's not going to take too long when he entered the bar with his business partners. Brett could hear waves of laughter inside the bar that he was not allowed to go inside.

The moon was shining brightly, reflecting against the waves.

Brett took out his violin from the case. Might as well practice a little before his father comes.

Brett tuned the violin and put a mute on. He shortly thought about what piece he was going to play. The waves lured him to play a piece for them.

Maybe Blue Danube Waltz by Strauss. Brett decided.

He has always liked this piece. It was a fun and joyful piece to play, matching the gentle waves of the port.

Brett jumped when he heard a small clap coming from underneath him when he finished playing though.

"Who is it?" Brett asked in the dark. He wasn't aware that anyone would be listening.

"I'm under here." The voice called from the basement.

Brett crouched down and saw a small window of a semi-basement peeping from the ground. He couldn't see the inside because it was too dark.

"What are you doing there?"

"Thank you for the music."

The voice entirely ignored his question.

Brett blushed. Nobody has ever really complimented his music like that. He was so used to getting roasted from his family and teachers that it made his stomach turn into a butterfly when he learned that someone actually appreciated his music.

Brett began to play a few other pieces for the person in the basement. Brett wondered if the voice also knows music, knows how to play the violin.

"I heard that Mozart once said music is silence between the notes," Brett carefully started the conversation, curious about what the person will say.

"That Mozart guy must have been lonely as hell," the voice laughed.

Brett laughed along. That was a unique perspective.

"Why?"

"I guess...he wanted the time he was waiting for the next notes...that waiting to be beautiful too, right? I'm still waiting too...but it's still music......I like that........"

Brett couldn't hear most of the words because the voice faltered in volume. However, Brett wanted to meet the person and maybe, play violin with him? Why not?

"Come out, I want to hear you play," Brett called to the voice naively.

However, as soon as he said it, his father called him from the bar.

"Brett! Time to go, pack up your stuff!"

Brett looked up at his father.

"But-"

"Your mother's waiting. We'll be in big trouble if your mother catches me drinking," Brett's father laughed as he helped Brett pack up his violin and took his hand.

"Come on."

Brett obediently followed his father, with a violin case in his hand. It was a shame he couldn't meet the voice but Brett quickly turned his attention to his father talking about what his mother might have cooked for dinner.

Brett's childhood was colorful and vibrant. The shady memory of Port Kaiim faded to the back of his mind and disappeared entirely as time passed.

However, the memory of Port Kaiim was the brightest moment of Eddy's life and it changed his path forever.

The fever and the pain at that time distorted Eddy's memory, making him believe that the musician was taller and older than he remembered, the music much more mature and perfect than what he listened to.

For all this time, Eddy has been searching for a person that was right in front of him, but he would never realize it.

This was the past that they both cannot and will not remember.