Faltering words - Chopin Ballade No.1

"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Anderson

So this was it, Brett let out a sigh as he looked up at the spires of the old gothic-architectured school. There at the front entrance gate, faded letters covered with vines read:

'Meldovern Music School for the Gifted.'

Meldovern. How many times had Brett heard about this fancy college? For every New Year, for every Christmas, for every freaking Thanksgiving dinner, some far-away family members will bring it up with a turkey grease on his lips - so, Mrs. Yang, is your son preparing to enter Meldovern? - followed by his mother's enthusiasm and urging Brett to play a piece after desserts... just the memories about it made him want to crawl back to his comfortable room already.

You are not from Handorr if you haven't heard about the Yang family. The Yang family is one of the wealthiest and the most influential noble families in Handorr for centuries, fattening their assets by international trades. All the Yang family - Mr. Brett and his six sons were working as the leaders of the country's economy, oh well, except Brett. His father has given up on raising Brett as a tradesman from an early age when Brett was more interested in listening to the ducks quack by the Council harbors. As the Yangs were frequently publicized as a cold-blooded family, Mr. Yang thought raising his youngest son as a musician might alter this negative image a little.

So yes, Meldovern it is! Every renowned musician for centuries has graduated from the school. Brett should feel proud of himself, but to be honest, he didn't feel like he belonged here. And maybe, this was true. His family title 'Yang' would have played an effect more than his actual playing during the audition. Brett was just about to pick up his suitcases and get back into his carriage and to his home (which took 2 whole days) when the voice stopped him.

"Mr. Yang! What a pleasure to see you."

Brett turned around and found Olaf, one of his favorite people in the world.

"Olaf! Great to see you too."

Olaf is a luthier who always took care of Brett's violin. Brett knew Olaf also worked in Meldovern as a contract luthier. Maybe, Meldovern would not be too horrible after all if I can see Olaf from time to time, Brett thought.

"Are you heading to the dormitory, Mr. Yang? I can accompany you if you need direction. I'm heading there myself as well."

"That would be great. Thanks, Olaf." Brett smiled.

Brett picked up his suitcases and began to walk next to Olaf. As he entered the campus, his emotion turned from anxiety to complete awe. The school was absolutely beautiful. Old trees lazily shaded the roads while cleanly cut grass and flowers carpeted the ground. The school buildings were built in a gothic style with ivies crawling to the wall. Seeing Brett's eyes sparkling, Olaf smiled.

"The campus is beautiful but the forest surrounding the area is also a place to explore, Mr. Yang. The trees are so tall and dense that no sounds can escape nor come into the forest, making the campus silent from and to the outside world. This is why the forest is called 'The Forests of Silence.'"

"I see, " Brett made a mental note to check out the forest sometime during the semester.

"Just curious, what brings you to the dormitory, Olaf? Someone broke their violin already?" Brett asked Olaf.

"Oh no, I'm actually here to deliver a new violin for a student." Olaf laughed.

"New violin?"

That's weird. Why would someone get a new violin right at his or her matriculation day when a class is going to start tomorrow?

"The order came from the Anderson family. I heard the family is sponsoring a new student here, a... commoner."

"A commoner?" Brett asked surprised. It is extremely rare for a commoner to matriculate into a prestigious school and let alone be sponsored by the Anderson family, one of the most renowned musician families in Handorr.

"Yes, his name is Mr. Chen. I'm going to room number 314. Do you know your room, Mr. Yang?" Olaf stopped in front of the dormitory building and asked Brett.

"Oh yes," Brett rummaged through his pocket and found a paper with a number written on it. 520. The top suite, the best single room in the dormitory.

"Alright, it was great seeing you, Mr. Yang. Best of luck." Olaf winked and headed to the stairs.

Brett stood in front of the building for a few seconds and took a deep breath. He didn't know how to express his feelings - anticipation, anxiety... maybe some excitement? His words will only fail him. Brett finally walked into the dormitory to face the unknown symphony ahead of him.