Innocence - DJ Okawari Perfect Blue

No man knows the value of innocence and integrity but he who has lost them." - William Godwin

Brett was blushing from head to toe at the word 'date.' Eddy was in his home ground and he felt incredibly more courageous making his move here than when he was at Meldovern. Also with Brett in his common clothes, Eddy could almost forget the infinite chasm of social status between him and Brett, at least for a while.

"Brett, I know you lived in the world of roast beef and fancy turkey dinner. Now, let me open up your mind to the new world of ... street food."

Eddy bowed playfully to Brett as they entered the night market in the center of Shobaim. Brett's eyes went wide. Brett has never seen anything like this before - food always came to him at the table, not something he needed to actively search for.

Strings of lamps lit up the street. Crowds of people were underneath the lamps, moving from vendor to vendor. Children ran with a popsicle in their hands as adults bargained for lower prices. Families were buying groceries, lovers were holding hands, friends were fighting and laughing. There were dogs barking somewhere as music filled in every corner.

"What do you want to try first?" Eddy has already taken out an apple beer from one of the counters.

Brett looked around, overwhelmed with so many choices. A sweet caramel smell grabbed Brett's attention.

"What is that?" Brett asked, pointing to one of the stands. There were groups of children giggling in front of the booth as they stirred a brown, gooey candy on a spoon.

"That is a honeycomb toffee. You want to try it?"

Brett nodded, excited.

"Two honeycomb toffee, please," Eddy ordered as they slid into the booth. The merchant gave them two copper spoons of sugar, sticks and a little bit of baking soda.

"How do I do it?" Brett asked, a little lost.

"Melt all the sugar inside the spoon with a candle. Once it all melts, put a tiny bit of baking soda," Eddy replied, helping Brett stir his sugar with a stick.

Brett laughed as the liquid sugar turned into honey brown puff once he put a little baking soda in it. Brett tasted the toffee with a stick. It tasted wonderful, sweet and a little burnt.

"I want another one," Brett looked up at Eddy with shiny eyes as he licked the rest of the candy from the spoon.

"One more spoon, please," Eddy ordered right away, delighted to share his childhood snack with Brett.

This time, Brett tried to do it by himself without Eddy's help.

"Hey, Brett! Careful!" Eddy took the spoon out hurriedly but the spoon was already burnt into a mess. The merchant looked at the charcoal burnt spoon with angry eyes.

"Run," Eddy took Brett's hands and ran into a wave of people. They heard a loud swearing from the vendor but didn't look back as they ran, joining into the crowd. When they reached far enough from the toffee vendor, they started slowly walking again, giggling like two mischievous children.

.

.

After that, Brett and Eddy got few more snacks: a bag of egg bread and chicken skewers. They sat on a quiet bench away from the crowd to eat. A few blocks away, they could hear the street musicians playing violins. There were groups of people from children to seniors, dancing and clapping to the song across the street.

Brett took a bite out of a chicken skewer and murmured with his mouth full -

"This is definitely better than Christmas dinner."

"Yeah, you were really missing out," Eddy chuckled, happy to see Brett enjoying the culture that he grew up in.

As they were finishing the food, an old lady came up to them with a basket filled with flowers.

"Please, sir. Buy some flowers."

Eddy tried to ignore the lady. He knew these street beggars will cling to them more aggressively if they give attention. However, seeing Brett's eyes filling up with pity, Eddy sighed and took out several coins.

"Give me the whole basket," Eddy took all the flowers from the lady and tossed it to Brett. Brett, surprised, took it gingerly.

"People look into your eyes and can tell you are too nice for this place, Brett. They will use you to no end," Eddy grunted. Growing up in the street, Eddy instinctively learned how to protect himself from greedy hands but clearly, Brett wasn't.

Brett shyly took out a yellow freesia from the basket and tucked it in the pocket of his shirt.

"Thank you for the flower, Eddy," Brett smiled. That innocent smile made Eddy's heart race twice as fast.

"Do you know the meaning of freesia?" Eddy asked.

Brett thought about it for a moment to guess but Eddy was not waiting for an answer. Eddy leaned over to Brett slowly, taking his words to his lips.

Brett could hear his heartbeat racing in his ears as his mind went blank. Their tongues met, slowly twirling. Brett raised his hand to lightly stroke Eddy's ear. 

Then Eddy felt it - the cold metallic ring on Brett's thumb.

Eddy hesitantly pulled Brett's hand from his ear. He gingerly took Brett's hand and looked at the antique silver ring with a green emerald softly glistening under the moonlight. The Yang family symbol, a symbol of power and nobility.

Eddy looked down at Brett wearing his commoner clothes.

Brett doesn't belong here. Eddy thought.

And he shouldn't belong to me. Eddy perceived a bottomless chasm gaping between him and Brett. Eddy realized this - whatever they are doing- will surely end up hurting him, or Brett, or both.

Eddy clenched his fist.

Brett, confused, looked up at Eddy. Why did Eddy stop? Brett was just about to lean forward to kiss him again when Eddy suddenly grabbed Brett's shoulder to stop him.

"Did I do something wrong?" Brett asked in a small voice.

Eddy, coming back to the presence, shook his head, no.

Eddy knew his status painfully well, and he was not going to hurt himself or Brett by challenging something he cannot change nor overcome.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Eddy took Brett's hand and stood up.

"Let's go, I'll catch you a carriage back to Candra."

"Why?"

"It's late, Cinderella. Date's over." Eddy pulled Brett's cheek playfully, trying not to show off his sudden mood change. Brett pouted, unhappy with Eddy's decision. However, he obliged, following Eddy's hand back to the street.

Eddy caught the nearest carriage passing them.

"To Candra, please," Eddy said, paying the coachman.

"I'll see you in Meldovern...?" Brett waved his hands. Eddy waved back, nodding.

As the coach disappeared out of Eddy's sight, he trotted back home. The street seemed more gray, more silent after Brett left. The afternoon date felt like a mere dream.

'Focus Eddy, you didn't go to Meldovern to play around,' Eddy thought.

Eddy reminded himself of the reason why he came to Meldovern. It was not because of Brett. He was searching for the musician from Port Kaiim and without him, Eddy knew his music will forever feel empty.

Recalling his original goal made Eddy feel secure again. Brett will only be a phase, Eddy told himself.

Brett, heading back to Candra, took out a freesia from his shirt pocket. The flower was already wilting.

Brett sniffed its sweet scent, missing Eddy already.