The genius - Beriot Duo concertant for 2 Violins No. 3 in D major

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius." - Arthur Conan Doyle

Even through the next day, the melody of la Campanella was still singing in Brett's ears. Brett walked dazed in and out of music theory classes and finally to his room for dinner when he heard a tap on his door.

"Yes?" Brett opened the door. To his surprise, Eddy was standing by the door.

"Wow, nice room," Eddy commented, looking around. Brett blushed at his remark.

"I'm Eddy Chen. You're Brett Yang, right?" Eddy asked.

"Yeah, I saw you at the class yesterday. Nice playing." Brett put his hand forward for a handshake but instead of a handshake, Eddy put a music sheet on Brett's hand.

"What is this?" Brett asked confused.

"Duo concertant for 2 Violins No.3 in D major, Op. 57 - Allegretto by Beriot." Eddy replied promptly.

"Alright... but why are you giving me this..?" Brett reluctantly flipped through the piece. The piece was fast with dramatic, lively melodies.

"We are both assigned to Professor Claude for our violin class. Professor Claude will test this piece by Friday."

"What?? But today is Tuesday..." Brett's eyes widened. Not only that he now has a piece to master by the end of Friday, but he was also paired with a prodigy for his violin class mentor. He could already imagine Professor Claude's disappointment with Brett as he will be inevitably compared to this genius for the entire semester.

"And why am I automatically the second violin?" Brett muttered under his breath.

"Why, the great Yang family will never play a second violin for a commoner?" Eddy smirked.

"No, I mean... I'm alright with the second violin." Maybe Brett should be glad Eddy at least didn't make him play viola.

"We can meet on Thursday night to match our parts and see how it goes from there."

Only after Eddy left, Brett realized how hard he was clenching his fist. Of course, he gets it that Eddy plays way better than him. However, if Eddy thinks Brett will be OK treated like an accompanist the entire semester next to Eddy, Brett was going to prove him wrong. Brett packed his violin and ran to the practice room, ready to bust Eddy on Thursday.

'I'm going to make him regret putting me on the second violin.'

For the next days, all Brett could think about during his music theory and history classes were practicing. He worked on getting fluent in all the techniques presented in the music. Brett played the piece so many times that he even memorized his part entirely by Thursday. With bagged eyes, he trotted to the practice room on Thursday night, ready to meet Eddy. Brett was confident that at least, Eddy will flinch at his newly found determination and musical talent. Eddy was already ready with a violin in his hand.

"So, did you practice?" Eddy asked.

"Of course, from start to finish," Brett replied, preparing his violin.

"Alright, I'll give you the signal and we'll start."

When Brett picked up the violin, he met his gaze with Eddy's. Eddy looked intensely into Brett's eyes and took a deep breath. Then at the same time, they began to play.

The moment the music started, Brett almost went weak to his knees. Eddy's first violin was flawless - it spoke and asked and replied in return to Brett's playing, slowly building the harmony. Brett has never felt his music so complete as his violin sang with Eddy's. The complex notes seemed to make literary sense like a sentence - a poem that yearned for interpretation.

"Sounds about right," Eddy nodded when the music stopped. Brett hasn't even noticed that the music stopped. They have stopped playing but the music seemed to be still hanging in the air.

"Why?" Brett muttered as he lowered his violin.

"What?"

"Just tell the Anderson that you're going to debut as a soloist already. Why are you even studying here in Meldovern?" Where you have to play a duet with someone as mediocre as me? Brett thought. Brett hasn't noticed but his eyes were filling up with tears. It was not jealousy but just facing the sheer fact of such prodigy that made every effort futile and agonizing. However, it was also something that just made Brett wonder in awe at such creation.

Eddy stared at Brett for a long time, as if choosing the right word to say. As Eddy began to pack up the violin, he replied slowly.

"I'm...looking for someone."

Brett looked up surprised.

"...What?"

"I have only heard him play once at Port Kaiim several years ago. He was the best musician I have ever heard and I have always dreamed of dedicating my music to him."

Brett searched on top of his head who could it be. However, no one soloist came into mind.

"I couldn't find him in any concert hall of Handorr so I thought maybe... he would be studying in a secluded area."

Eddy looked up at the window where the dense woods surrounded the school - The Forests of Silence, the forest that concealed all the music to and from Meldovern.

"But maybe I was wrong. I've listened to several musicians here in Meldovern for the past days but no one was him. Now, I'm unsure of what to do." Eddy turned his gaze to Brett.

"What do you think I should do?"

Brett, speechless, looked back at Eddy while the crushing silence hovered over them like a storm.