Bleeding Nights (7)

Chapter seven

            "Oh Elaina darling!" Lisa gushed over me. I sat up, wondering what was going on. She was enfolding me with kiss after kiss, and it made me wonder, how long was I out.

            My father had tears in his eyes, "We thought we lost you. We thought you were..." He didn't finish the sentence, but I could sense what he was about to say. Gone like Jeremy. I noted how he wasn't blubbering on himself like Lisa was, but he was close to it.

            I got to my feet in a frenzy. "I'm fine guys. Really, I am. I guess when I entered the library, I moved too fast? All I know is that, I am not going to discuss it with you, okay?"

            They nodded, but it was Lisa who spoke: "You need to rest. There are big plans scheduled for tomorrow." Oh yeah, tomorrow was Saturday.

            "Actually Lisa, I have plans. I am going to talk to Sinclaire. Is that alright?" I asked.

            She let out a smile that could light up a Christmas tree. And suddenly, I got a creepy feeling. No one should be that happy.

***

            "Hey, Sinclaire!" I called to him, waving my arm frantically. It was so hard to locate him, but here we both were, in the middle of the town square. Starbucks was the center of all the action, and that is where Sinclaire was. He sure hadn't changed much; he still loved his coffee.

            His eyes raised to search the person who had seeked him out. He saw me waving my arm, "Elaina?"

            I strolled up to where he was sitting,  at the lonesome table in the corner. In front of him, he had two large coffee containers. That was Sinclaire, alright.

            "Hey Sinclaire." I smiled at him, standing on the deck, waiting for him to invite me to sit down.

            "Hey." One word. He was studying me, trying to figure out why I sought to see him. The awkwardness was unbearable. At last, after a long moment of silence he spoke, "Sit."

            I smiled graciously, and I sat. Then I smiled and began to try and start up a conversation with him. It wasn't easy. "So, uh, hey."

            "What's up Elaina?" He asked, taking a long gulp of his second coffee cup. Then, he crumpled it in his hand, and tossed it on the table, right next to the other one.

            I shrugged, "Not much. What about you?"

            "Just talking to you." Damn, he wasn't giving me much to go on. But, the guy in my dream, Alex, told me to come and find Sinclaire. So I did.

            "Okay. How have you been?"

            "Elaina..." Sinclaire began, eyeing me once more before sighing. It was a depressed sigh, one of a heart broken guy. "Why have you come here today Elaina? Is there some reason that you suddenly want to talk to anyone but yourself?"

            Ouch, that had hurt. I mean, I talked to other people a lot, right? "Yeah, there is a reason."

            "Are you going to tell me that reason?"

            "No."

            "Alright then." He was averting his gaze so he was not looking directly at me, but behind me instead. I didn't understand...why was he acting like this?