Bleeding Nights (2)

Chapter two

            "Hey! Ollie-pop!" I called to my best friend, Oliver Trophine, through the crowded hallway. It had been nearly a week since I almost drowned in the lake at camp. I wouldn't have made it, if not for Sin. He explained to the police and counselors that he had heard my effort to scream, and saved my life. We hadn't talked since then. Now it was the first day of school, and Sin was nowhere in sight. But, Oliver was there, which was good enough.

            "Hey, Lainie!" He called back, waving his hand frantically back and forth as two of the biggest jocks in school pushed him against a locker.

            I ran up to the biggest one, and landed a kick in his most sensitive spot. He fell, clutching in between his legs, and as his friend ushered to help him up, I grabbed Oliver's books and ran around the corner. We ran into a dark and secluded area. This was the "study hall." It was always deserted. Except for the lonely company of me, Oli, and Sin, occasionally. I turned to Oli, examining his cuts on his hands, "Oli, are you alright?" I asked worriedly.

"Yeah." He admitted quietly. Oli liked being quiet. It gave him a sense of security. He was a misfit too, only in a different nature than me. I was always second to be noticed, but he was always almost first. He was the school Goth, and people punished him for it. Not me. I met Oli when I had saved him from the bullies in second grade. We had loved each other to death since. Oli wasn't really a big fan of Sin, but they tolerated each other to the point of my acceptance.

            "Those jerks better not do it again if they know what's good for them," I murmured, hatred spewing with every word.

Oli cracked a smile, "Oh, I don't think they will. The way you assaulted him like that...well, er, that hurts, um, a lot. And, he won't recover for awhile. You were kick ass."

"Thanks." I smiled at him, feeling proud to help him. We were lovers, so to speak. We never considered dating, but the connection I had with Oli was far more than I had with anyone else. With the exception of Sin, of course.

"Hey, Lainie, I forgot to ask you and Sin. How was your summer vacation at camp?" Oli smirked at me, the whiteness of his teeth showing through his pale lips.

I hugged him. "It was okay, I guess. Not that much had changed from school. Sin and I were still tighter than your pants..." I paused, waiting for him to laugh. He did. "And, well we missed you like crazy. We even made a lot of references to you."

"Oh come on," he said skeptically, "You can't miss what is never fully there."

I snapped, "You are too! If anyone is the cuckoo bird in our group, it's Sin." He smiled again, rolling his big cinnamon eyes at my word. I linked my arm through his as we walked out of the room, "Besides, I am more of a mental case than you."

"See, that is where you are wrong, baby. You're perfect. You should be popular, hang out with the popular group. Be an 'French'." He laughed as I faked a gag at the comparison. It wasn't hard to gag at the mention of "The French's". They were a popular group of girls all with the same snobby attitude. all they did was look down on everyone else. Sin had a sister in that group, but she left it when she graduated. They have connections.

I remember when "The French's" thought I should have been in their group. They had offered me a spot, and for a while, I considered it. It meant getting to go to all the most amazing A-list parties with Sin. But, it also meant both me and Sin leaving Oli behind, and we couldn't do that to him. Giving up any one of the guys would be like giving up a piece of my oversized heart. So, I turned them down.

Now, however, Mimi Pressure, the school slut herself, was the head of the group, and her job in life? To make me specifically feel miserable.

"Speak of the devils wearing Prada," I whispered in Oli's ear. He stifled a giggle just as they came up to us, blocking our path.