chapter fifty-five

unworthy

            The new Rulers look defeated at the thought of being betrayed by one of their own. Even a few of them went so far as to say it wasn't possible. Jetidi was one of them.

            "I hope you're right. Hayden, you and Jetidi go to Kellum and see if you can offer him comfort. Annie, talk to all your undead friends and see what they know. Until this is over, none of you are safe. Stay together. You're stronger together."

            "You are one of us, my Queen. See to your safety as well."

            "Thank you, Jedda. Zon, protect them and bring in Slenzer and Mikiary to help. I trust them."

            He nodded.

            Dread ate at her stomach. When she came to the double doors that would lead her to where the advisors waited, she paused to take a deep breath. She wouldn't face the dicks-tuck-in-their-asses with tears in her eyes.

            She'd be the Queen Kell thought her to be if it killed her.

            "You can do this, my Queen."

            She had serious doubts about that. "Last time I saw them they ate me alive."

            "You were just a scared child then. You're a Queen now with the power of a kingdom behind you."

            She just wanted Kellum at her side. "Is Julian here?"

            "Yes, my Queen."

            "Frick?"

            "Everyone is accounted for, my Queen. I kissed Julian, my Queen."

            Shocked, she stilled. "You did? What did he do?"

            "Not much, my Queen. Nothing, really. Stared at me. He does that a lot."

            "When you say you kissed him, do you mean his forehead? Come on, Damous, you can do better than that. As soon as we are out of this mess, you are spending some one-on-one time with Will. That dude should be a damn national treasure."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            "Thank you, Damous. I've come to appreciate your guidance and your friendship."

            "You honor me, my Queen."

            "Let's do this before Julian starts cutting off ding-a-lings. He's been wanting to do that since we got back. Dez, you are free to talk again. You have heard everything going on. I want you to search all the records. Find out when, where, and how they got ahold of him. Only speak when I speak to you."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            "Open the doors."

            Jess entered slowly, and she prayed like hell her entry looked regal. Her hands shook so badly that she hid them in the folds of her old, heavy robes. The whole situation was so fucked up it would almost be funny if it weren't so damn sad.

            She sat as tall as she could. Her guards and Kellum's were spread out around the room. They looked mean and ready for business. Frick and Julian were the only two who looked her way. The rest stared at the enemy's feet, waiting for any movement.

            Guess that's a note for the future. To guard someone, you need to be able to look at them.

            Fucking double thick fudgy shit on a stick.