Chapter 14

I woke up to our daughters jumping on our bed and Rosie laughing as our girls giggle and squeal.

"Well, good morning to you three, too." I chuckled and sat up.

"Daddy's awake!" Poppy squealed and jumped into my lap. I hugged her and held her close to me. Alice sat with Rosie.

"Girls, I have to make breakfast." I said.

"No!" Poppy whined.

I began to slide out of bed. I felt a tug on my fingers and looked back to see my toddler with a pouty lip and my fiancée smiling and shaking her head. I stood up and ran out of the room. I heard Poppy whining and then heard giggling.

I got downstairs and started making breakfast. Then I remembered that today is my off day. I made pancakes and bacon. I cut up some strawberries and put whipped cream on the pancakes. My brothers came stumbling down the stairs and sat at the table. Rosie came down with Poppy resting on her hip and Alice was holding onto her hand. I already had planned out today's adventure.

Rosie came around from behind me and kissed my cheek. I turned around and kissed her lips. We pulled apart and I turned back around to finish cleaning up. She snaked her arms around my waist and rested her head on my shoulder blade since she wasn't tall enough to reach my shoulder.

"I have an idea, babe."

"What's that?"

"We need to take the girls to the brook today. It's not too far from here. It's just behind Buck's and it's real nice and quiet. I think they'll enjoy that."

"Sounds like a good idea. Good thing I don't have to work today." She laughed.

The girls ate their breakfast and we got them ready. We put them in their bathing suits that Dal got for them and then put shorts on over them.

We all piled into my truck. I drove with one hand on the wheel and the other on Rosie's knee. When we got to the brook, the girls squealed and started wiggling in their seats.

I got out and opened the door for Poppy and unbuckled her car seat. I picked her up and placed her down in the parking lot at Buck's. Alice unbuckled herself but had to have Rosie open the door for her.

The girls scrambled over to the waters edge and hopped up and down. Alice slipped her shorts off and Poppy tried to copy her sister's actions but failed. She began to wail and flail her arms and stomp.

"Hey! Don't you act like that or we'll go home, missy!" I scolded.
Her lip began to quiver and she started to cry. I felt bad but my kids are not going to act a fool.

I went over to her and helped her unbutton her shorts and pulled them off of her.

"All better?" I asked calmly.

"Uh huh." She nodded.

"Good. Now go play!" I said and tapped her butt. She took off running to catch her sister.

I sat down on the waters edge holding my fiancée's hand. She smiled at me and then her face went pale.

"What's wrong babe?"

"I don't know. I all of a sudden feel sick."

"I feel fine and the girls seem to be okay. So it can't be the food."

"Uh oh!" She got up and sprinted away from the girls and I and started to throw up.

I went over and held her hair back. I rubbed her back and she heaved one last time then was done. We went back over to the girls and watched them splash around. It happened again about fifteen minutes later. Then we decided it was time to go home.