Chapter 2

Later that night we all sat around the living room. I was still wondering why Soda flew in the front door so I brought it up.

"Hey Soda?"

"Yeah, Dar?"

"Why were running through the door at dinner?"

"Well, I was just getting back from the park because I was meeting up with Sandy. Then when I was coming home, I heard a low rumble and I sprinted. I didn't feel like dying today." He laughed.

"Good to know." I responded quietly.

Then the gang decided to talk more end up playing some card game. I started to clean up the kitchen from dinner. Then I got in a cleaning mood and ended up cleaning the entire house. It still kind of smelled like a teen boys locker room but it was clean.

When I finished cleaning, I got in the steaming shower and did my nighttime routine. I get a shower, brush my teeth, and sometimes shave. Then I went to bed.

    The next morning I woke up before anybody so I headed downstairs and cooked breakfast. Then I heard two pairs of feet stumbling down the stairs. Then my day began. My brothers entered the kitchen and sat down at the table. I served up three plates for the three of us. We ate and I rushed around and got ready for work. Steve was sitting on the couch waiting for Sodapop to be ready for work. Two-bit was waiting on Ponyboy to be ready for school. Johnny was already at our house.

When we were all ready to go to either work or school, everybody left our house. I went work on a customers roof and then it was slow the rest of the day. My boss sent me home about four hours early and by that time, everybody was getting back home.

Two-Bit came in being trailed by Ponyboy and Johnny. Two went to the fridge a beer and cake, then Pony and Johnny went to the dining table to work on their homework. Soon enough the phone began ringing. I was sitting in my recliner so I set the newspaper down in my lap and picked the phone up out of the cradle.

"Curtis residence, Darry speaking."

"Hello Darry. Is there a Keith Mathews there?"

"Yes. Just give me one moment."

I set the phone down on the table and told Two-bit it was for him.

"Hello?"

"Hello. This is Lisa Bullens from Lisa's Orphanage for Girls. I was calling to discuss the custody of Jane Mathews. Are you her brother, Keith?"

"This is him."

Then they kept talking but I could hear what Lisa was saying. Then Two-bit said "bye" and hung up. When he put the phone back in the cradle, his jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

"What's wrong, buddy?" I asked concernedly.

"It's my sister. She is causing trouble and they can't keep her anymore. My mom doesn't know about this and I don't know how to tell her. But the thing is, I have to go get her today. Like, right now." He said. He seemed stressed.

"Listen, I'll help you. Go get your stuff and I'll get Pony and then we'll leave."

Then he ran to put his shoes on and we left. Pony sat in the backseat and Two-bit sat next to me. It only took about 10 minutes to get there.

We checked in and followed the lady, Lisa, back to the waiting area. I sat down and Two and Pony followed. Then a girl came up to me.

She couldn't have been more than twenty. Man she was beautiful. She had long brown hair, her eyes were a hazelnut brown, she was shorter than I am. Her freckles were so cute on her face and her little button nose was so cute.

"Are you Darrel Curtis?" Her voice was so sweet and innocent.

"Yes. Call me Darry, please."

"Sorry. Do you happen to want to adopt a baby named Poppy Marie Andrews?" My jaw dropped.

"Yes. I'd love to!" I asked trying my hardest not to sound too excited.

"Would you like to see her?"

"Please?"

"Follow me." I motioned towards Pony to follow.