Chapter 4

Dally and Johnny have been gone with Poppy for about an hour and I began pacing. Soda noticed something was wrong then, the phone began violently ringing. I ran over and picked it up.

"Darrel?"

"Yeah, it's me Dal. Is something wrong?"

"I don't think so. I was going to let you know that we'll be back in about a half hour."

"Oh thank goodness. I thought something happened. Thanks for letting me know, Dal."

"Hi new daddy!"

"Hi baby! Are you having fun?"
"Yah!"

"You'll like what we got her. See ya later Darry."

"Bye Dal."

Then I set the phone back in the cradle. It was almost time for dinner and I was just finishing making the soup so we could eat. I heard the door creak open and slam shut. I figured it was Dallas, Johnny, and Poppy so I turn to see who it was. I took a step back to put the ground beef in the chili and felt something under my foot. Luckily I didn't step all the way. I stepped back forward and turned around. I saw my daughter standing right behind me with her bottom lip stuck out.

"I'm so sorry Poppy! I didn't mean to step on your foot!" I said to her.

"It otay new daddy." She said with a smile.

She reached her hands up, motioning me to pick her up. I picked her up and sat her on the counter with me while I cooked. Then Dallas and Johnny came in behind her and smiled.

"So what'd all she get?" I asked, knowing they spoiled my sister rotten.

"Come to the living room and have Soda finish cooking. We'll show you." Johnny said.

I yelled for Soda and he came traipsing down the stairs. I told him to finish the chili but not to make it spicy.

Then I went into the living room and all of Poppy's new things were laid out on the couch. She got a shirt that says "daddy's little girl" on it, a leather jacket, a jeans jacket, some new jeans, a cute little dress that was black and it had sunflowers on it. She also got a pair of black leather combat boots, some new tennis shoes and a few bandanas for her hair. Then she got a hairbrush, some rubber bands for her hair, and normal hair ties. And just to spoil her, Dally got her a toy switchblade, Johnny got her a new book then they both got her soap, shampoo, conditioner and bath toys.

"Guys! You did not have to do this!" I shouted shocked. They both chuckled and Dal picked her up off of the floor.

"We wanted her to like us and we thought she needed some more stuff. We also got her a couple blankets but they are upstairs in her room." Dallas explained.

"Her room? She doesn't..." I said confused.

I ran upstairs and found the spare bedroom painted grey with a pink accent wall. Her bed was white, there was a big sign hanging over it with her name on it.

"Where did you get the money to do all of this?" I asked.

"I helped them. After I saw all that she had, I had to help her." A female voice said.

I turned around and I saw Rosie there. I engulfed her in a hug and thanked her. She hugged me back and I felt her smile. I didn't know what to do in that moment so I kept hugging Rosie until she let go. I chuckled nervously and she was smiling that bright, beautiful smile. Then I felt my face redden and Ponyboy and Soda walked in the room. Their mouths dropped to the floor and then crept into a smile.

"Dally?"

"What Poppy?"

"Can you put me down?"

"Sure, kid." He said as he set her
down on the floor. She ran up to Rosie and reached her arms up.

"Rosie?"

"Yes?"

"Will you hold me?" Rosie reached down and picked her up. We stood in that spot until I remembered the soup.

We went downstairs and sat around the table. I didn't have a high chair so I made one by strapping the top of a TV tray to the arms of the chair she was sitting in. I had to use duct tape. I think tomorrow I will buy one for her.

As we are sitting around the table, after I said grace, everybody was talking and enjoying each other's company. Even Rosie was having a good time. Everybody complemented me on dinner and they proceeded to talk and make jokes. Every once in a while, Poppy would squeal and make everybody laugh, including me. Then I realized, this is what family is. I never knew I needed this until right now.

Later that night, I had to get Poppy ready for bed. I knew she needed a bath but I didn't know what to do. I never had to bathe a child except for Pony when he was a baby.

"Rosie, can you help me get Poppy ready for bed?"

"Sure. You go get her pajamas and her diaper and I will start the bath and get her towel and wash cloth."

I went upstairs and grabbed all of her things and came back down. The bath water was running and Poppy was getting ready to get in. Then she took off out of the bathroom door.

"NAKED BABY ON THE LOOSE!!" I yelled.

Then all of a sudden, I heard some squeals from Poppy and yelps from the guys. I started to go out the door to retrieve her but I passed Two-Bit carrying my daughter in a blanket. In the blanket, she had all of her new bath toys.

I went out to get her soap, shampoo and conditioner. I passed Two-Bit again just carrying the empty blanket.

"Thanks for capturing her, man. I was going to catch her but she is fast!" I chuckled.

"It's no problem. I had to do that a couple times with my sister when she was a baby." We both laughed that time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just put Poppy down for bed. Rosie had to go home and the guys stayed at our house again. I couldn't stop thinking about dinner and how everybody was having a good time. I want that for my own family in the future.