Chapter 10

Today is the day. I don't want my girls to leave but they'll be home soon. I went to our room and I helped finish packing. Then they had to leave. I knew Alice wasn't very happy about it because she wouldn't let go of my legs. Then Rosie came over to me and hugged me. She nuzzled her face into the crook of my neck. She sniffled and I felt a hot tear hit my bare neck. I rubbed her back and looked down at her. She looked up at me and I kissed her gently. We pulled apart and Alice tried climbing up my leg. I picked up and snuggled her into me.

"I'm gonna miss you, daddy!"

"I'll miss you too, Alice." She hugged me tight and slid down to the floor, still grasping my legs.

"I'll miss you, Darry."

"I'll miss you too, Rosie." She started to tear up again.

"It's okay baby. Don't cry." I said
keeping my composure. She nodded.
Then she took Alice by the hand, and led her out the door. I stood still and heard the rumble of her car drive away. I sat down and started to cry. I heard noises coming from upstairs then stomping coming from the stairs.

"NOBODY TOLD YOU TO DO THAT, PONYBOY MICHAEL!" Soda screamed.

"Can you be-" he started, "Darry?"

"I'm alright, little buddy. Don't worry about it." I said sniffling.

He climbed onto my lap and laid his head on my shoulder. He snuggled into me like he did when we were younger. I smiled and then released some more tears.

"SODAPOP PATRICK!!!" Ponyboy screamed.

"SHUT UP YOU, IDIOT!" He screamed back. Then more stomping down the stairs.

"Oh." Pony said and flew back up the stairs.

I eventually stopped crying and went to get up. I didn't fully stand up but Soda fell asleep. I lifted him up and set him down on the couch. He stirred then woke up.

"Sorry, buddy." I said.

"Oh, it's alright." He responded.

I got up and looked around the house. I forgot Poppy hasn't woken up yet so I went upstairs to check up on her. When I walked into her room, she climbed out of her bed and was snuggling with the stuffed bear that Alice snuggled with, crying. I teared up again and picked her up. She still had a tight grip on it and wrapped her arms around my neck, almost choking me. I squeezed her and she began to sob. I knew she was sad about not having Alice around anymore. That was the time, that I knew that I wanted to marry Rosemary Elaine Dalton. Rosie Curtis. It has a nice ring to it. I smiled at the thought. Then I realized I needed to talk to her. She wrote down the address she will be at. Then soda walked in.
"Hey. What's on your mind? I can tell you are planning something."

"I need to talk to Rosie. I know they just left but I need to talk to her."

"Write her a letter. She will be there tomorrow and then she'll get it in about two days if you mail it tonight." He explained.

"That might be the smartest thing I have ever heard you say!" I chuckled.

"Hey!" He said and playfully punched me. We both laughed. Then I went to the kitchen table and began to write.

Dear Rosie,
I want to tell you something. I love you so much! I want to let you that I am planning a date night for us when you get back. I am taking the Saturday that you get back, off. I miss you and I want you to tell Alice that I love her and miss her. I am thinking about moving into a bigger home still on the East side. The gang is always here and now that so have a daughter and we live together along with my brothers. There isn't enough room in my tiny house. Poppy was snuggling the bear that I gave Alice and crying this morning. I saw how they acted around each other. I will miss you both for the two weeks you'll be gone. I'll write again telling you about the house. I love you, baby.
Love,
D. Curtis