Chapter 11

It's the third day since Rosie and Alice left. Poppy hasn't been her normal self. She's been very quiet. She is quieter than Johnny is. That's not like her. She is usually talking everybody's ear off. I've been upset too but I've been able to hide it well. I need to be strong for my daughter. My brothers have been fighting a bit more since yesterday. Who knew such an amazing girl could make such a difference? I miss her and Alice. I need to keep myself distracted.

I have to go to the store and get some things for Poppy and get things for dinner. I am making baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn. Then I have to get gas in my truck. I'll probably go to DX and visit Steve and Soda.

Then I have to talk to Dallas and Two-bit. They haven't done anything wrong but I have to discuss something with them.

I have so much to do. I still have to clean the house and parent my daughter, my brothers, and my buddies. Being an adult is hard, especially when you are twenty and have had absolutely no experience in the department before. I need Rosie to help me. She promised to call me.

I went to take the trash out and get the mail. Poppy was taking her afternoon nap and the gang wasn't there to be loud. It was just me, Poppy, and Johnny and Ponyboy.

I opened the mailbox and saw a letter along with our monthly bill. Rosie and Soda always helped me pay our bills. I grabbed the envelopes out of the mailbox and slammed it shut. Our mailbox doesn't close very well so you have to slam it. Then I went back in the house and set the mail on the table.

I sat down at the table and opened the bill first. It was our electricity bill. I knew this wasn't going to be good. I opened it and scanned the page down to the bottom where the total was printed. $115.89. Great! I haven't made it to the store yet and I didn't have that much left. I have maybe $50 left. I usually set aside that much for the store and gas. Soda usually put his chip-in money on the fridge with a magnet. He left $40 and a note that said:
Darry,
I know it's not enough to help cover the bills but I still thought I needed to pitch in.
-Soda

I nodded and I threw in about $25 from my store money. I set that aside to figure out how to finish paying it later. I then opened the letter that was addressed to D. Curtis. When I opened it, I saw $47 fall out. I realized who it was from. Then I got happy. I could still afford to live in this house. I need to have a talk with my brothers and the gang about using electricity. Now I have to find $3.89. That won't be too hard. I'll pick up a half shift tomorrow. The bill isn't due until Saturday. Today is Tuesday.

I pulled the letter out of the envelope and unfolded it. It said,

Dear D. Curtis,
Alice was really quiet on the way to my parents house. I'm sorry for leaving you guys for so long. How is the gang? Is Poppy okay? I wish I didn't have to leave. I have bad news though. Yesterday, (Sunday) my grandmother passed away. I'll be coming home earlier than expected. I'll be back on next Tuesday. I have to stay because we have to go through the will and divide her stuff up. The funeral is on Wednesday. Tell Poppy I love her and miss her and so does Alice. I'll write back, I promise! I love you!
Love,
Rosie
P.S there is $47 enclosed in the envelope!

I felt bad for her. I know how it feels to lose somebody you love. I decided to write her back tonight so I got my notebook and an ink pen and began to write.

Dear Rosie,
Poppy loves you too. She has been oddly quiet though. I think she is just depressed. She doesn't go to bed without the stuffed bear that I got for Alice. I think she misses the both of you. The gang is okay. They haven't changed except for Pony and Soda. They've been fighting more often. It's taking a toll on Poppy though.
I am sorry about your grandmother. I am sending prayers your way! I miss you so much! I didn't realize how much help I needed parenting my daughter, my brothers and the gang. I love you and am ready for you to be back home. I have something planned for us when you get back. I love you so much, babe!
Love,
D. Curtis