9. Zvesda

Alina was grateful when the envoy arrived shortly after the ‘boys’ came back into the cottage after their talk. 

Mal still was sporting his trademark grin while he had hand on Aleksander’s shoulder who looked like he was trying his best to humor him. 

“All good?” 

Mal nodded, “As long as he continues to treat you well. We won’t be having any problems.” 

As Aleksander sat down beside her Alina glanced at his blank look, before looking back at her brother incredulously. She couldn’t help the laugh that fell from her lips. 

“You gave him the shovel talk?” 

Mal shrugged, “I was going to do it with whoever your soulmate was, him being a big General wasn’t going to stop me.” 

Alina looked back at Aleksander who in turn spoke, “We have an understanding.” 

Fedyor sprang up then, “They are coming.” 

As the envoy arrived Alina was relieved to find that Fedyor hadn’t exaggerated when he told her no one had been gravely injured from the attack. 

Ivan who was leading the envoy was quick to get their horses to others while ushering them into the carriage.

Before stepping into the carriage, Alina paused to find Ivan holding her brother and Zoya back. 

“If you two don’t keep your hands to yourselves for the journey, I’ll be throwing both of you out to ride along with the rest.” 

As soon as she was in the dark carriage she found herself in between her soulmate and Fedyor, with Ivan across from them with her brother and Zoya. 

They hadn’t even traveled for more than an hour before Ivan followed up with his threat, when her brother and Zoya began kissing in their corner of the carriage. It quickly went from simple kissing to hands everywhere, Alina didn’t know where to look.

Once they were back on the road with two oprichniki taking the place of Mal and Zoya, Alina glanced at her companions cautiously. 

“I know this might be a slightly awkward question but...is that normal?” 

Fedyor let out a laugh that he covered poorly with a cough when Alina shot him a glance.

One of the oprichniki spoke up, “It is normal to wish to strengthen the bond between two soulmates after the first sealing in a soulmate bonding. Depending on how strong the bond was already at the time of the first sealing, how long the two soulmates have been kept apart and several other factors the pull will drive them to strengthen their bond.”

Alina’s eyes widened, “When you say how long the two have been kept apart…?”