Chapter 20

"Good evening Alastair, don't you look smart!" Olette said as she pushed past him into the Wesley mansion.

Alistair looked her up and down as her perfume swarmed past him. The sequins on her tight top sparkled under the bright lights in the Wesley's hallway. Alistair thought it showed off a disgusting amount of cleavage for a dinner party and watched the satin black skirt drape across the floor as she walked into the kitchen. Nidaw came through next with his son, Sen, not far behind. Nidaw was dressed more casually than his wife, with a silver shirt tucked into some grey chinos. Sen smiled at Alistair as he walked past, checking out Alistair's funky looking shirt. "Good look, you must be Alistair", Sen said, holding his hand out.

Alistair looked at him oddly, thinking he looked uncannily like Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies. He put out his hand and shook Sen's firmly, treating him like he treated all his clients. Olette's potion had worn off slightly and he was feeling suspicious of these people that had just arrived in his family home. He had sent his mum, Mikaela, and his youngest brother Aaron out as soon as his dad had called him to tell him they were all coming over for dinner. He didn't need anyone threatening or blackmailing him by using his family. He hadn't heard from Ace since that morning and wanted to keep it that way, worried about what would happen when he eventually found out what he had done to Effie. It was a massive blur, feeling like he had been black out drunk all morning, but he hadn't.

"Erm, are you joining us for dinner or is it your job to just stand by the door and wait for someone to knock?" Sen asked, grinning childishly.

Alistair could already feel his hatred building for him and smirked, rolling his sleeves up, "nope. I am joining you, don't you worry."

Sen nudged past him and laughed as he followed in the direction of his parents into the humongous kitchen ahead. He walked straight up to Steve and shook his hand, "good to finally meet you Mr Big Shot, how you doing after a tiring afternoon occupying these two?" he nodded at his parents.

Steve glanced at them and downed his whiskey in his hands, "I'll be fine once we have had this dinner. I am starving." He peered into the dining room and saw some of the food starting to arrive, "ooh, if everyone would like to make their way into the dining room. Dinner is served", he shouted.

Everyone followed him in and sat down graciously, eagerly awaiting the feast in front of them. Nidaw stood up raising his glass, which took both Steve and Alistair by surprise, "to working together in a new long-lasting partnership", he said, clinking his glass with Olette's.

"Indeed", Olette whispered smiling at the Wesley men in front of her.

They all devoured their food, making uninteresting small talk throughout. When they had finally finished all three courses they made their way into the more formal living room. Olette, Nidaw and Sen gladly accepted more drinks and sat themselves down on the old-fashioned sofa in the middle of the room. Steve and Alistair sat down opposite them, gripping their beers tightly as they stared at the three dangerous people in front of them. Olette sighed, taking in the décor around her, there were paintings everywhere, she felt like she was in some sort of art gallery. She stood up, looking at some of the paintings in detail, admiring the handy work and mumbling to herself. Nidaw uncrossed his legs and glared at the Wesley men, figuring out the best way to approach his next conversation, the main reason they had come over. "So, Alistair, did you get what Olette sent you for?"

Olette glanced over her shoulder, unbeknown to anyone else, and listened intently. Alistair nodded, taking the vial out from his jacket pocket, "is this what you wanted?"

Nidaw and Sen grinned like Cheshire cats, not quite believing they were so close to becoming immortal after a wait that felt like forever. "Yes! That is it exactly."

"So what's the next step with it then? How do we try it out?" Steve asked them, staring intensely at the vial of blood in his son's fingers.

Nidaw grinned, "someone's got to drink it."

Alistair turned his nose up disgusted, "what? Drink the blood? That is gross. Have you seen it? It's like separated in the vial."

Sen shook his head and stood up, "I don't mind doing it. How bad can it be?"

Nidaw grabbed his son's arm and pulled him down aggressively, "no, not you."

Sen looked around the group, "well who then?"

They all turned to look at Steve who suddenly felt very uncomfortable, "you want me to drink it?"

Olette came up behind him and put her arms around his neck flirtatiously. She leant into his ear, licking the end of his ear lobe, "well who else is going to? We thought you'd be perfect. You are, as they say, the most powerful, handsomest and strongest man. Look what you have built for yourself from nothing... Why wouldn't it be you?"

Steve found himself falling for Olette's charm and took the vial from Alistair. Alistair watched him open the top and put the vial to his lips. Olette moved back, gently fiddling with her skirt as she moved round the sofa, watching Steve gently pour the vial of Effie's blood into his mouth. "Aah, that's it", she said gently, "every single drop of it. Ooh, delicious!"

Steve shook his head and gagged at the last little bit swirling round his mouth as he chucked the vial on the floor. "Argh, that was disgusting!" He stuck his tongue out suddenly feeling very hot and sweaty.

Alistair looked at him panicked, "dad, are you okay? Do you feel any different?"

Steve shook his head and looked at Olette standing near him eagerly awaiting his answer, "no, not really if I'm honest."

Olette nodded from behind the sofa, moving back to look at another painting, very disinterested in what was going on with the men. Steve glanced back at her and then at Nidaw and shrugged, "so how do we find out if it has worked?"

Nidaw and Sen grinned simultaneously, like mirror images of themselves as they kept their snake-like eyes focused on him. Steve looked at them weirdly, "well?"

Nidaw and Sen launched themselves across the room and pinned Alistair down as Olette took the knife she had been hiding in her pocket and stabbed Steve straight in the heart, pushing the knife deeper and deeper until Steve's eyes went grey and the colour started to drain from his skin. "DAD!" Alistair shouted, trying to wriggle out their grasp. "Oh my god, what did you do? DAD!!" he screamed again.

Olette cackled and slapped Alistair's face, "shut up you stupid boy. This is what he wanted, stop being so selfish!"

Alistair's lip started to quiver, not believing what he had just witnessed. "Dad?" he squeaked as Nidaw and Sen slowly let him go. They watched Alistair shake his dad profusely, trying to wake him up, but it was no good. Steve lay there motionless as Alistair buried his head in his dad's shoulder, a swoop of pure guilt and devastation soaring through his body as Nidaw and Olette walked off towards the kitchen, arm in arm, excited for what was to come. Sen followed, glancing back at Alistair, who's colour had drained from his sunken face as he realised just how awful things were going to get.

"Sen! Stop staring, it's rude!" Olette shouted at him from the kitchen, watching him like a hawk.

Sen spun around and faced her, grinning, "sorry mother. It's just, we've waited so long for this, I want to soak in every minute of it."

Olette walked over to him and pinched his cheeks like he was a little boy again, "oh darling...", she suddenly slapped his face, leaving a red mark sprawled across it, "when will you ever learn not to open your mouth so bloody quickly. We have no idea if this will even work, calm yourself down before something awful happens. We all know what happened last time when you overreacted and let your emotions get the better of you."

Sen rolled his eyes as he put his hand up to his throbbing cheek, "she bloody well deserved that, stupid bitch. She was trying to kill us. An eye for an eye don't you always say mother?"

Olette shook her head, the heat in her face starting to rise, "don't be smart Sen, it doesn't suit you."

Sen grabbed a bar stool and sat in it, folding his arms in a huff. He had been getting more and more fed up of with his mother over the last few years and couldn't wait to be rid of her the minute he became immortal.