Chapter 14

25 years ago...

"Right, Nyx, darling, grab your things, we need to leave now!" Fay said, trying to stay calm for her two children. Fay was a powerful woman, given the power of regenerative healing when she was born into her fairy convent. She never got ill, and her tears healed any nasty wounds; however she could not cheat death like with healing cancer. Her husband, Marin, was of equal power, his magic let him cover things up that he didn't want seen, the art of cloaking. Their son, Nyx Reynolds, was a 7-year-old confident little boy who had not received any powers when he was born, a human boy that his parents loved so deeply they worried for his future in a world full of secretive magic merged in everyday life. Their daughter, Effie, had just turned 1 years old. The Reynold's house was still decorated from her party the day before; pink glittery balloons gathered in the hallway; her three-tiered Barbie cake was still holding strong on the kitchen table. The rest of the three-bedroomed house was a mess. They all had the most wonderful day, full of presents and laughter. They looked fondly at their children playing together, wishing their hopes and dreams would come true.

However, unbeknown to them, Steve Wesley had learnt a few days before from his brother Chad Wesley that his work partner, Marin Reynolds had found his 1-year-old doing the most unexpected things. Chad had taken Marin out for drinks to celebrate his daughter's birthday, not being able to make the party they were holding for her, and coaxed information out of Marin that he had no idea what to do with. He learnt how Marin had masked himself as a human for decades after meeting his beautiful wife Fay in Portsmouth doing the same thing. Her reasons were dark and dangerous; her family were evil, desperately trying to find a way to gain eternal life, ever since she could remember, to deliver misery to others for eternity and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Unbeknown to her, her family had managed to get hold of dark magic and created a potion which had to be injected into someone with magical abilities who was carrying a baby. Sen, Fay's twin brother, knew of his sister's secret pregnancy, being linked to her from birth and organised for her to meet him in the shopping centre by the sea. He had promised her a friendly catch up but within minutes she had realised there was an alternative reason behind it. Out of nowhere he had injected the potion into Fay, praying that it would give her unborn child the gift of giving eternal life to anyone that drank her blood. Fay's twin brother and parents were all power hungry, always had been and Fay had tried to run. Her and Marin fled to the busy London streets but she knew deep down that no matter where she tried to hide to escape from them, they always managed to catch up to her eventually.

After Chad had provided his brother, Steve, with this information, Steve became power-hungry, desperate to get his hands on the girl who could give him eternal life, thus making him the most powerful man in the world. He wanted control, he wanted to be the most dangerous man around and he vowed he would do anything to get it.

The day after Effie's birthday party Fay's family, finally finding out where she had been hiding, beat Steve to it and surprised the Reynold's household. Fay opened the door and clutched the door tightly in her grasp as she saw her mother staring back at her. "Good afternoon Fay dear, mind if we come in?" her mother, Olette asked, faking a smile so wide you would think she had her daughter's best interests always at heart.

Fay held Effie tight to her, caressing her little head against her shoulder as she stared at her mother's purple eyes glinting at her. She looked older than she remembered, the chase finally catching up with her. "Olette, you need to leave", Fay demanded as she felt some little hands on her leg.

"Oh, and who might this strapping young boy be?" Olette asked, crouching down to say hi to Nyx.

Fay put her hand on his head comfortingly and pushed him behind her, "Olette, I have asked you to leave."