Chapter 5

"So, Ace, how was your shopping trip with Miss Effie?" Suzie said, sipping her champagne. She loved dressing up for these sorts of occasions, her dress was a silk blue that floated behind her, it revealed her toned stomach at the sides and tied in a box over her breasts; her sparkly silver heels glistened every time they caught the light. They were standing in the grand hallway at the Wesley offices; the high ceilings were decorated with humongous white drapes and all around the sides were white balloons with '40th Anniversary' on.

Ace glanced around, bored of the formalities of such a big event. He kept his eyes on Alastair and his dad talking secretively about something near the bar area. He turned to face Suzie swirling his champagne around in the flute in his hand, "we didn't go shopping. She left pretty much straight away actually. A friend of hers called and needed her."

Suzie touched Ace's muscly arm, feeling the expensive material of his crisp white shirt, "oh dear, that's a shame."

Ace tensed as Alastair turned around and smiled at him and Suzie as he made his way over to them. He clinked his champagne flute with theirs and kissed Suzie on the cheek, grabbing her hand and twirling her around, "well don't you look sexy."

Suzie smirked. "Why thank you, you don't look so bad yourself", she said eyeing him up and down in his black suit.

"No Effie yet?" Alastair asked, looking at Ace, smirking.

Ace shrugged, "I don't know why you are looking at me like I would know?"

Suzie nudged Alastair, "leave him alone. He clearly doesn't care Alastair, just let him be. Have you heard from Paris? She has been your dates to these things for the last few weeks hasn't she?"

Ace shook his head, "fuck knows what she is doing but I do not have time for her anymore."

"Oh my God!" Suzie exclaimed, nudging Alastair who suddenly looked up at her and followed her gaze to the door.

"Oh wow, she scrubs up well", he sniggered.

Ace turned around as Effie took off her silk scarf, passing it to the waitress waiting at the door. Her brunette hair was plaited to the side and a sparkling purple clip made the purple in her eyes glint even more. Her ivory strapless dress had red flowers that cascaded down to the floor with a little glitter woven in between. She nodded her thanks to the waitress and looked around in awe at the room all decorated beautifully; she looked at all the people mingling together and smiled as Steve nodded at her from the bar area.

"Excuse me", Ace said, grabbing a champagne glass from a waiter nearby and made his way over to Effie, not taking his eyes off her for a second. "Good evening", he stated as he approached her, passing her the champagne flute. He could feel everyone's eyes on them, including his dads so knew he had to watch how he was towards her. He didn't want to let on to anybody how he really felt towards Effie.

Effie looked at him and smiled, accepting the drink from him and glugging it down. "Ah, thank you. I needed that." 

She looked around her, noticing everyone watching her, "why is everyone staring at us?" she whispered as Ace held out his arm. She looped her arm through graciously and carried on sipping her drink nervously.

Ace leant in towards her, "because you are the most beautiful woman here."

Effie looked at him curiously, narrowing her eyes to concentrate on his chiselled face. She was about to reply when Alastair and Suzie appeared in front of them, "good evening Effie. You look fantastic", Alastair remarked, taking her hand out of Ace's arm and twirled her around.

Ace focused at the mark on her back, his eyebrows furrowed as he concentrated on the mark that he recognised instantly. Suzie gave her empty champagne flute to the waitress near her and took Effie's off her to do the same. As she turned around she put her arms around her and hugged her, giving her an air kiss as she leant in, "I see I have some competition for best dressed tonight then."