Chapter 15

"What are you doing here?" Effie snapped, seeing Ace pull up in his car outside her flats.

He shrugged, "I needed to make sure you actually came in today, so what better way than coming to get you myself."

Effie looked along the road, hoping a taxi was going to pull up out of nowhere. She watched Ace turn the engine off and get out the car. She felt her stomach flip at the sight of him; he looked gorgeous in his newly ironed grey suit. His eyes lit something in her chest and she felt herself blush. "Ace, honestly, I can get there myself...."

He interrupted her, guiding her around to the other side of the car. She went to open the door but he closed it, pushing her against the solid body of the car. She looked around, hoping someone would ask if she was okay, but her hope died when she realised it was only 6am. He could hear her breathing become deep and slow as he leant into her, his cheek brushing past hers as he touched her ear gently with his lips, "you're really quite cute when you're angry."

"Argh!" She pushed him off of her with force and glared at him icily. "Keep it up and I'm about to get real delightful!" she snapped.

"Oh Effie, calm down for fucks sake. I'm only messing with you", he laughed as he made his way round to the driver's side of the car.

Effie opened the door in frustration and sat down, putting her seat belt on stroppily. "Don't tell me to calm down. It's like stabbing someone and wondering why they're bleeding. Dumb fuck."

Ace put his seatbelt on, turning the engine on and started to drive, "well, I must say I've been called worse by better..."

Effie glanced at him disgustedly, "oh please, you bloody wish."

Ace was finding her hilarious, her sarcasm and wit something he had missed. "Oh Effie, I've missed you."

"Well stop", she replied abruptly.

Ace shook his head, "trust me, I would if I could, but I can't."

"Why?" she replied, fumbling with her mother's necklace around her neck.

Ace suddenly stopped the car, pulling to the side of a quiet street. "Ace, what are you doing?" Effie asked dumbfounded. He got out the car and shut the door, leaning back onto the main body of the car, running his fingers through his hair as a million different things ran through his brain. Effie waited a couple of minutes, not wanting to go outside and ask what his problem was, but after a while longer she took off her seatbelt bitterly and walked round to him; her brown heeled boots making a loud sound on the pavement as she did. "What is wrong with you?" she snapped.

"Nothing", Ace mumbled, staring straight ahead of him deep in thought.

Effie wasn't taking that as an answer, she had things to do. She moved in front of him and waved her hand in front of his face, "hello? why pick me up if you have some internal battle going on at the moment? I'm going to end up being late!"

Out of nowhere Ace grabbed her and pulled her round to the car, her back hitting it gently. She looked side to side hoping someone would come over and rescue her from this situation but there was no one around. "Why does everything keep coming back to you?" he whispered hotly, trying to find the answers to why he felt so strongly for her.

She scanned his face questionably. "Why do you keep coming back to me?" she replied defiantly, wanting to rip his clothes off him then and there. Time apart hadn't done her any good and had only made her feelings towards him heighten.

He hit the car making her jump, "because I love you. I fucking love you!" He moved back, his fists punching the air in front of him like he had an enormous amount of frustration he couldn't get out.