Chapter 3

"Great work this week Effie, well done!" Steve remarked as he passed her desk on his way out. He always left in the early afternoon on a Friday, leaving the helm to Ace as Alastair had not been in all week with the flu. "My youngest son Aaron is home from travelling today so I want to make sure I am there to see him when he arrives. Make sure you tell Ace you are going before you leave."

Effie looked up from her desk, finishing typing into a document and nodded, "yes Sir, Mr Wesley." He made her nervous and she always flustered when he was around.

Ace had been an excellent boss during her first week, Alastair not being in massively helping. The rest of the staff had been enjoying watching Effie with Ace, finding it intriguing watching their working relationship develop over the week. Some of the older staff had been interested to watch Ace take control over someone, delegating work and had been impressed with the way he spoke so professionally with such a beautiful young girl that clearly found him attractive... as they all did.

Suzie, a youngish attractive woman high up in the company who had a massive crush on Ace and had done for years had been watching jealously from the side lines. She had managed to bag Alistair for a while, but begged the attention of Ace, the more attractive brother, every minute she spent with him. Ace knew how she felt and played on it, but now Effie was on the scene he had been completely ignoring Suzie. As soon as Steve left the building Ace appeared out his office, beelining Effie straightaway but Suzie was too quick. She pulled her tight knitted dress down and rushed over to him in her heels, her black sleek hair swishing behind her as she appeared in front of him, "Ace, I have those quotes for you, all done. I know Alastair emailed quite a few bits and I am also halfway through that. Is there anything else?"

Ace kept looking over Suzie's shoulder, staring straight at Effie who had her head buried in paperwork that Steve had dropped on her desk that morning. "Erm, no Suzie, that's great, thanks."

Suzie moved with Ace as he tried to step to the side, "are you coming to my house warming later? I have bought plenty of boos. I know you like your vodka."

"Errr, where?"

Suzie huffed and playfully pushed Ace's shoulder, "you know, my new apartment", she turned to Effie, "you're coming aren't you Effie?"

Effie looked up sleepily, rubbing her eyes having been staring at rows of numbers for the last few hours, "sure. What time?"

Suzie beamed, "great. Erm, about 8, I have nibbles and alcohol, you drink?"

Effie nodded, "did you say vodka? I love a vodka."

Suzie nudged Ace, "so does this one, oh my god, you should have seen him the last time we had a work do. His hands were on any girl with a pulse after a few drinks, me included", she winked.

Ace shook his head, "Suzie, that's not true. You can't say that as such a bold statement."

Suzie cackled, "oh stop being so shy. She will learn what you are really like outside these four walls soon enough. You don't stay Mr Boss man for very long... Unless it's in the bedroom, so I've heard."

Ace's jaw tensed and his lips tightened suddenly becoming angry and Suzie stopped smiling, knowing she had overstepped her mark, "you not got work to do Suzie?"

She nodded and sheepishly made her way back to her desk, "I'll message you my address Effie. Will be nice to see you there later."

Effie nodded and looked from Suzie to Ace then back down at her work, not wanting to get involved in whatever had happened between them to make Suzie think that Ace was such a player.

*

"Ahem!"

Effie looked up from her computer and noticed Suzie standing in front of her ready to leave. "Oh my god, what time is it?"