Chapter 9

The next day, I was still there, with John. He was still asleep and he looked adorable. I smiled at the peaceful look on his face and cuddled up into his chest again. He sighed and his arms tightened. It felt nice to be wanted like this after everything. Subconsciously, I started humming ‘Stay With Me’, the song John had written; the one that shouldn’t exist.

“Beth?” I heard him whisper in my ear after a moment. I realized I was falling back into sleep so I just sat there. His lips pressed down on my neck and trailed down my shoulder or along my jaw. I reacted to it of course. “So you are awake?” I giggled. I looked up at him.

 “Can you stay with me?” he asked, the question in his eyes so….intense. I nodded, straight faced. His hand rested on the side of my face and I leaned into it.

“Always.” I closed my eyes and kissed the inside of his hand. He was smiling at me. He leaned down and lightly kissed my lips. Then he lay down next to me and pulled me to him.

“Can you stay with me to the ends of the sea?

 When the world is old and grey.

 Please stay with me

 To the ends of this dream

And keep you safe and away.” John whispered in my ear. A lazy smile spread on my face as I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep again. I was facing the wall, John’s chest to my back, when the door swung open.

“John Lennon, get out of this bed this instant!” She tore the covers off of us in her anger. The door slammed.

“Wow. She is not a people person.” I said expressionless. John’s frame shook with laughter.

“Not really. She is very….”

“British.” I looked down and sat up. “Come along. Up.” John frowned but sat up.

 “You need new clothes.” I laughed.

“Yeah probably. I will get some when I go home, okay?” I kissed his cheek then made for the window, tossing his shirt back to him. People walked around on the streets below us.

“Don’t go home so soon.” I heard from behind me.

“It’s only for a little while. And I need to sort some things out. And you,” I looked up at his hair. “Go. Gel away.” And pushed him towards the door. He smiled and closed the door. As soon as it did, everything changed. It was colder, darker, less homey. I opened the door to a dark hallway. And downstairs, nothing. Then there was the man again. And again I ran out and away from him. I ran to my house.

“Beth? Where have you been disappearing to?” I rolled my eyes at her tone.

“Nowhere, mother.” I smiled at the joke and ran to my room. I grabbed a bag and stuffed it full of things I needed. Like toiletries, clothes, and any Beatles record I could find in my room. I zipped up the bag and almost ran down the stairs.

“Where are you going?” mum asked, following me.

“Cassia’s.” I stopped and turned around, hugging her. “I know I don’t tell you, but I love you, mum. And don’t freak. Cassia told me something yesterday and it just got me thinking anyways. I have to go.” I smiled and waved when I left. I made my way through town on foot and passed Querrybank School. And then I changed times again.

I hate this world and it’s ever changing patterns.