CHAPTER 4 : The Disaster Begins - Amelia Watson

2 weeks have passed. And it's currently 7:24PM. Today is the day, that Jack will start to hunt me.

I'm all alone in my apartment, fully armed and ready. However, the Chief insisted that he should put some snipers across my apartment so that they could see what's going in. They also attached a wireless microphone on my uniform so that they can hear what we're talking about. Modern civilization really is something..

"7:25PM.. I'm guessing he'll arrive at 7:30PM..", I muttered to myself.

The Chief instructed me to stay at my apartment no matter what happens, if I do anything else like going outside, then all of our preparations will go to waste. And I can't afford to do that..

Some time of waiting have passed, and it's currently 7:34PM. Did I miscalculate..? Or did I do something wrong..?
I looked at the snipers across the building but they're all still there, Jack still hasn't made a move.. Then what's with the wait..?

I waited for a couple more minutes and it's currently 7:46PM.
Then I suddenly got the feeling that something is off.. This is not what I expected it to be.. He's definitely up to something different, and he must've figured out my plan.

Then out of nowhere my telephone rang. I got anxious because I thought that it was finally him that's calling me, but as I picked up, Jhon was the one on the line.

"Ms. Watson! Are you there?!", Jhon asked.

"Phew.. It's just you Jhon.. I thought that—", I was about to say something but Jhon cuts it off by saying...

"WE WERE WRONG! WE'RE THE ONES IN THE TRAP! JACK HAS ALREADY KILLED HIS LAST VICTIM!!", Jhon shouted.

"EH?! LAST WHAT?!"

"AS I TOLD YOU! YOU WERE NOT HIS LAST VIC—"

I immediately put the telephone down and rushed outside my apartment.

"SHIT. I didn't ask Jhon about where the incident happened!", I said to myself.

But I continued running out from my apartment and eventually got out of the building.

I looked up the sky and helicopters were heading somewhere south. So I followed their direction.

After following and running after the choppers for some time, I finally made it to the scene of the crime..
I saw Jhon and the Chief looking down at the dead body with their faces confused.

"Jhon! I'm here! What happened??", I asked Jhon.

"We... We failed... No... We got caught... No... How should I say this... Um.."

Jhon couldn't answer to me directly so I asked the Chief, but he's also in shock that he couldn't utter a single word.
I thought that something was odd, because detectives wouldn't be so shocked over a dead body.
But that's when I found out when I looked at the paper that the Chief was holding..

The name of the victim that just died.. Isn't named.. Amelia.

"Wha... What the hell is happening...?", I asked myself.

I don't know what's happening now.. I thought he was targeting me because he had a pattern of victims. Was I wrong? Did I only assume that I was the target? Was I too sure about my clues?? I don't know now....

Suddenly, my body started to shiver.. But it's not because of the cold, but it's because that I felt like someone was watching me..
I looked up but I only saw the choppers, but as I looked down, I saw someone in the dark wearing a cloak. A dark cloak, he was also smiling, even though it's night time, I was able to see his smile in the darkness.

He was about to run off, so I decided to follow the person. As I was running, thoughts ran through my mind like..

'Is this the guy? Is this Jack? I'm not entirely sure now but.. The feeling of that stare definitely came from that person! I have to catch up to him!'

I continued running and the person in cloak started to move strange. He wanted me to lose sight of him by going through the corners of the buildings, but that tactic is old. I can easily go through it!

I jumped the obstacles, slid through the small gaps and kept on running. I didn't stop.
And after some time, he entered an abandoned house that somehow I recognize..

"An abandoned house...?", I asked myself.

'Why would he bring me here..?', is what I thought at the moment.

As I was about to analyze the oddly familiar house, I decided to enter immediately since there was no time to lose...

I have the feeling that this is the guy. This is Jack the Ripper.

After opening the broken door, I was welcomed by the darkness and cold temperature of the house. Luckily I brought my flashlight. I wasn't joking around when I said that I was fully armed earlier.

After turning on my flashlight, I lit it around the house, and all I see is cracks and ants. But I eventually found a staircase which leaded up to the 2nd floor.

Most people with normal mindsets would run away in this situation because they get overwhelmed by fear. But I guess I'm one of those actors on the movies because... I decided to go up.

Each step that I take, screeches of the broken wood would start to resonate around the entire house like it was a reverb.
But I still continued despite the fear that I'm currently feeling..

After some steps later, I finally reached the 2nd floor. I lit up the hallway and most of the doors were barricaded expect one. And that one door has some light inside..
I decided to get closer to that door, and as I got closer the more I noticed that the light that's shining is a candlelight. Well, that should've been obvious since there's no electricity here..

After reaching the door, I tried to peek around using the little gap. But eventually, someone already knew that I'm here. And that person said..

"You may enter, for I bring no harm towards you... Yet."

That 'yet' got me anxious. It made my heart race, but in order to find out the truth, I have to enter.

I slowly opened the door, and there was a person sitting on a chair. A rocking chair to be exact, the person also has candles surrounded throughout the room to illuminate the darkness I guess.. But it's still creepy. It's like seeing a Reaper that's about to take my soul.

"Ms. Amelia Watson. I've been expecting you.", the person said.

"Wh-Who are you...?", I asked.

"You humans have known me as, Jack the Ripper. Known for slaughtering and raping woman."

"So you're..."

"Don't mistake me Watson. My name is Jack but I'm not a Ripper."

The person started to stand up from his chair. And after he stood up, he removed the cloak that he was wearing and revealed his face and said his name.

"My true name.. is Jack the Reaper."

"The Reaper...? Don't you mean.."

"Yes! I am a Grim Reaper!"

A true Grim Reaper huh... Just what has my life ended up into..