Gone

When Arthur turned he saw Lancelot's back. Lancelot stumbled backward into Arthur before Arthur caught him and saw the sword that was plunged into his stomach. The person holding that sword was Edith. Even Edith couldn't contain her shock for a second as she took in the fact that Lancelot jumped in front of the king. In that second the earth shook violently. Cracks appeared in the ground beneath their feet and boulders fell from each side of the cliffs. Every person on the battlefield began to stumble, except for two.

Seemingly, out of nowhere, Merlin and Morgana stood hand in hand between Edith and the knights. Morgana turned back to help Lancelot in any way possible, while Merlin advanced on Edith. Edith drew back her sword getting ready to make a feeble defense against the greatest warlock in all existence. She saw his eyes void of emotion; that may have been what scared Edith most of all. She swung the sword at his head twice, which he ducked out of the way of both times. With a flick of the wrist, Edith's sword went flying. Then Edith abruptly went tumbling backwards, finding that her ankle had been entangled by a vine. She summoned to herself a fireball which Merlin blocked and sent flying into the cliffs behind her. As a final attempt Edith fling out her hand and yelled,

"Astrice!"

Nothing. Merlin stood there unmoved. She tried again, but nothing happened. She had lost, and now the immortal one had the power of her life in his hands. Ironic.

"Kilgarrah," he called, and the ancient dragon came to answer. He landed above Edith, one paw holding her down. She struggled, but knew it was in vain.

"What will you do to me?" She asked.

He didn't answer, but looked up at the dragon. As if an unspoken understanding was shared between them, Kilgarrah nodded and Emrys walked away.

"Merlin!" Arthur called, running up to his friend.
"Merlin, you have to come quickly. It's Lancelot."

Together they ran over to where the knights and Morgana was kneeling over Lancelot. When they arrived Morgana looked up with sad eyes, allowing someone else to hold the wound.

"I did what I can for him, but he's already lost too much blood."

"But... you're a healer right?" Arthur asked. "Can't you heal him?"

"The sword was enchanted," Merlin said distantly. "He's already gone."

Arthur was going to protest before he saw the hopelessness in his friend's eyes. Merlin knelt down beside Lancelot, who was already beginning to fade. Lancelot feebly looked up, seeing Merlin beside him.

"Hello old friend," Lancelot coughed.

"Lancelot," Merlin smiled. "You saved Arthur."

"'It's my duty as a knight of Camelot."

"You've gone beyond the line of duty," Merlin struggled to keep his tears inside. "You have been such a good friend to me. You knew before anyone else did."

"I was always proud to be your friend. It has been a joy to stand beside you. Just... promise me one thing?"

"Anything."

"Do not lose who you are. Even if ages pass; just stay- you."

Merlin nodded, no longer able to hold back tears. Lancelot smiled, taking in his friends. Then, his eyes drifted off and he saw no more.

Merlin's breath hitched as he bowed his head over his friend. Morgana knelt down next to him and grabbed his hand, wiping tears from her own eyes. A heavy wind started blowing through the pass, and everyone standing near knew why. Arthur knelt down next to Merlin placing a hand on his shoulder as rain began to fall. Merlin looked up and realized that his job was not yet finished. Gathering what strength he had left, he made his way back to Kilgarrah and Edith. As Merlin approached, Kilgarrah bowed his head.

"I'm sorry, Emrys."

Merlin have a curt nod and Kilgarrah released Edith, but she couldn't move. She looked up and saw Emrys, tired and void. He could kill her. Either quickly and easily or quite painfully. There was nothing she could do.

"Alright," she said. "You win. It's over. Just please- if there is any mercy left in you, make it quick."

He paused, tilting his head to the side in an almost questioning manner.

"Mercy? You tried to take everything from me. You tried to take my sanity, my livelihood, my will, and lastly you did take my friend from me. Now you plead for mercy in the form of a quick death?"

She gulped.
"It's all I have left. So be done with it."

An eerie silence hung in the air. As he decided her fate, he spared a glance back at his friends. He saw their mourning and their pain. He thought of the pain she caused him- the torture and agony he went through not just for a month, but for an entire year. He knew what she deserved.

"I'm not going to kill you," he decided.

"What?" Her expression was pure shock. Even Kilgarrah managed to look shocked in his own dragon-y way.

"Nor will I place you behind bars, hold you captive, or anything of the sort."

"But... why?"

"Because I'm not like you. Despite what you think about me, I believe in doing what is right and good. I would choose mercy over harsh justice any day."

Unbeknownst to Merlin, Arthur was overhearing their conversation. He came up behind Merlin, grabbing him on the shoulder to get his attention.

"Wait, Merlin. Let's just think about this. She caused treachery upon the kingdom, upon you! You can't just let her go to make some new plan."

"She won't be going to make some new plan. She won't be able to."
He turned back to Edith, giving his verdict.
"You will be stripped of your magic and sent back to where this all started. And I would suggest you don't come anywhere near Camelot again. I will know."

"Take my magic?" She scoffed. "You can't do that."

"Try me."

He waved his hand and his eyes flashed fully gold. Her magic left her in a gold mist that created a glowing ball in the air. She gasped realizing that her magic was gone. She put a shaky hand to her chest trying to control her panic, quickly turning to anger.

"You will be sent to the Isle of the Blessed to live out the rest of your days. I won't stop you from leaving the Isle, but if you come anywhere near Camelot I can send you back in an instant."

"So that's it. You steal my magic and force me to live in isolation for the rest of my days, what so you can sleep better at night?"

"No. Because I believe revenge is not the answer. This is your one chance to change, Edith. Use it wisely."

With that she vanished.